1752827 Members
3676 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: XP12000 Performance Advisor setup

Kurt_33
Occasional Contributor

XP12000 Performance Advisor setup

I am using a stand alone PC as management station to install commandview and XP PA. The PC is connecting to the XP12000 pubic LAN via a cross cable. Both Commandview and PA could be installed successfully. Commandview is able to see and control the XP12000. However, the XP PA is not able to view the XP12000. In the view pane, the XP arry icon is gray and nothing can be seen. Any has idea? Is there any missing steps for PA setup?
6 REPLIES 6
Eric de Lange_2
Respected Contributor

Kurt,

PA requires Host agents to be installed. These are agents installed on servers that acess XP resources via FC and that communicate with the XP via the XP command devices that you specify using Comand View. These host agents 'query' the XP on a defined interval and communicate the results back to your PA station who can then display them for you. This is different from CV who communicates to the array via the network.

So, to go short: Make sure you have installed the PA host agent.

kind regards,
-Eric
Devender Khatana
Honored Contributor

Hi,

The reason for this seems that the hostagent is not running. There is a option in Program , through which you can install hostagents on the client. Have you tried that?

After installing the host agent you need to hostagent on that host by

#/sbin/init.d/hostagent start

If it is a HP/Unix Machine.

HTH,
Devender
Impossible itself mentions "I m possible"
Kurt_33
Occasional Contributor

The management station (The PC) does not have FC card. It has two LAN cards. One LAN talks to the XP via cross network cable. The remain LAN card not configured.

So, I need to congifure the second LAN card in the management station so that it can talk to those machines (all HPUX) who can commnicate to XP command-device via FC? Then deploy the host agent to those machine via LAN?
Devender Khatana
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Yes you can do that.
Alongwith that you can also connect the single LAN of the PC to the one of the servers and can assign a similar IP to the SVP Public LAN as well.

HTH,
Devender
Impossible itself mentions "I m possible"
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

You will also need one HPUX host to have a Command Device assigned to it - the Host Agent uses the Command Device to collect the performance data.

Only one HPUX host should do the data collection - this is set in PA on your PC.

You should have PA agents on all your hosts. This will allow the PA agents to forward configuration information to the PA server so you can cross reference host name, LV, VG, and PG information with the CU:LEVs on the array.

If you have a large XP, note that PA can be pretty resource intensive - a fully loaded XP12000 has THOUSANDS of internal devices that performance metrics are collected for. The database can get quite busy inserting all that data, and even reading it to produce the graphs can be a lot of work.

For a fully loaded frame, I suggest using a minimum of a 2-processor server with either internal RAID or connect it to the XP for storage of the PA database.

Good luck,

Vince
No matter where you go, there you are.
Kurt_33
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for all your input. It gives me a clearer picture now. Anyway, customer only wants to collect XP internal performance, I may connect the second LAN card in management station to one of the HPUX host that has raid manager installed.

Our XP12000 is a storage upgrade for XP256. The new PA (version 2.1A) is quite different from XP256. I know the PA was installed inside the SVP of the XP256 and that's why customer using iosolated LAN between management statation and their XP256