5761 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Your thoughts on this

edmund_6
Advisor

Your thoughts on this

Hi ya folks..

I posted a couple of months ago on tips on expanding an arrray.Im doing it again on another server and would like your input again

controller - 5300 smart
OS is 2K server
ML530

3 Array -

Array A - Logical drive 1 (34727MB) Raid 5
3 X 18.2G

Array B - Logical drive 2 (138927MB) Raid 5
3 X 72.8G

Array C - Logical drive 3 (69463MB) Raid 5
3 X 36.4G

Now i want to add a 72G drive to array B.

Procedure -
1.Backup
2.Update fiemware
3.Expand array - (ACU)
4.Expand logical drive (ACU)
5.Add space using diskpart

Now my only concern is that the physical slot for this new disk in the encloseure is not the next one on array b but its the next available slot which is after array C.Can i can use that or do i have to rearrange the disk in the enclosure

Hope that makes sense..

any feedback would be great
4 REPLIES 4
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Edmund:

You should have no issues using the next available slot. As long as the disk is on the same controller as the the other disks, it will work. It could even be on a different channel, but as long as it is on the same controller, your fine.

Make sure your Windows has at least SP4 before performing the diskpart step.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Ruslan
Respected Contributor

It's unimportant where you place disk on cage. SA will recognize it. Note that diskpart utility work on basic and non-OS volume. Your procedure oder is right.
edmund_6
Advisor

Thanks for response...

This server is the main file and print as well as exchange.I guess as long as i have the priority set to low it shouldnt affect network access throughout the procedure.I know for a fact the whole process will and could take up to about 10 days.

What are your experiences on adding disk to a major server and its impact

Please find attached a word document on screen shots from acu and let me know if there is something that doesnt look right or that might cause an issue..

Thanks guys and girls
Edmund

Jacob Zeeman
Valued Contributor

Hi Edmund,

If you have the priority of the expansion/extension set to low then you should not experience any performance impact on your server.

I looked over the screenshot you sent in, and the firmware on the controller is a little out of date at 3.32, so you may want to update that to 3.54 You can find the firmware update here: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00257511/c00257511.pdf

Also in case you want some documentation to refer to during this process. Here's the HP Technology Brief on drive expansion/extension: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00257511/c00257511.pdf

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
Jacob Zeeman
HP Server Storage
Yarr!