108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

add disk enclosure to EVA5000

TechAsking
Occasional Contributor

add disk enclosure to EVA5000

hi;

we have EVA5000 - 2C6D.
we want to add new one disk enclosure.(M5314B FC Drive Enclosure)

is it possible? and

is there anything to add? (License,SFP etc.)
6 REPLIES 6
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Re: add disk enclosure to EVA5000

hi,
its better to add 2 enclosures to have 8 enclosures. This enables you to spread the RSSs verticaly across all enclosures and thus increase the availability of the data even in the enclosure failure.
If you decided to add only 1 enclosure, its nice that it can be done online without any downtime. (M5314B and M5314A are usable at EVA 3000/4000/5000/8000 and M5314C only at EVA 4100/6100/8100). No additionaly licensing is needed and the backend loop switches should be ready for the 2C12D without any changes.
the pain is one part of the reality
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

The drive enclosure kit should come with all the relevant cables that you need to connect things up, so you shouldn't need any SFPs.

It will probably come with copper fibre cables, which have built in SFPs, which may look odd if your EVA still has normal fibres.

Whilst you don't have to have additional licenses to install a new shelf, you should make sure that the total disk capacity after your upgrade doesn't exceed your existing LTU. (Licence To Use) (I'm assuming you're also going to be adding disks...) As early versions of Command View EVA didn't enforce the LTU many people just added extra disks without thinking about it. This will cause problems when you come to upgrade to Command View EVA 7, which does enforce the LTU...

And you would be best installing shelves in pairs as mentioned previously, to keep the loops balanced.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Rob
TechAsking
Occasional Contributor

so,
if we buy 14 FC 300 GB disk,we have to buy 4 Command View 1 TB LTU License??

is it correct?
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi,
there are 2 possibilities:
a) either you stay on the latest 6.x CVE version => 6.02 platform (upgrade to), then you need not do anything with your licensing
b) or you can transfer your existing "paper" licenses to the new electronic licenses (CVE 7.X) which is also free.
the pain is one part of the reality
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

> if we buy 14 FC 300 GB disk,we have to buy
> 4 Command View 1 TB LTU License??

> is it correct?

If you don't already have an Unlimited LTU then yes you do have to buy the relevant licences.

If you're running a version of Command View EVA earlier than 7.0 then the licence isn't enforced so you don't technically need it, but legally you do...

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Rob
TechAsking
Occasional Contributor

as far as i understand,

if i have CVE 6.x version, i don't need any license but CVE 7.x or later i need LTU License.