New Discussion юеВ

adding a disk to an Autoraid unit

SOLVED
Go to solution
Scott Dunkley
Regular Advisor

adding a disk to an Autoraid unit

Hi,

i have a customer running with an AutoRaid 12H model A3700B and they need to expand some logical volumes. They have a new 18gb disk to put in the unit but what i need to know is how to configure this disk so they can allocate the space from it to an existing volume group?

Sorry if this is an easy question but I have never used these older autoraid units.
Better to regret something you have done, than something you havn't
33 REPLIES 33
Jeroen Peereboom
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: adding a disk to an Autoraid unit

You can use SAM to do that. You have an additional menu for your autoraid (as I can remember it correctly).

JP.
Rainer von Bongartz
Honored Contributor

check (e.g. using SAM) that the AUTO_INCLUDE option is on.

If so, simply insert the disk into the cabinet.

Regards
Rainer
He's a real UNIX Man, sitting in his UNIX LAN making all his UNIX plans for nobody ...
Hoefnix
Honored Contributor

As far as I can remember you can create a new LUN using SAM.
After you have created the LUN(or multiple LUN'S) you are able to extend a volumegroup with the new create LUN .The extend the lvols etc..

It will be possible to do this from commandline, but I don't remember how.

HTH,
Peter
Scott Dunkley
Regular Advisor

is the AUTO_INCLUIDE parameter in a file in rc.config.d??????

Also once this disk is in can it only be allocated to one VG or can it span multiple VG's?

Thanks for your help,

Scott.
Rainer von Bongartz
Honored Contributor

Scott,

use SAM/disk and filesystems/disk devices/HP Auto Raid disk controller

use modify to see the AUTO INCLUDE button
(see attachment)

To use this disk you have to bind a LUN to it

Regards
Rainer
He's a real UNIX Man, sitting in his UNIX LAN making all his UNIX plans for nobody ...
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Scott,

The Auto Include is a feature of the array itself and is configured through the control panel menus. It is on by default (and rarely changed). However, if a disk was used by another array previously, it will not be automatically included and you have manually "Include Disk" via the control panel menus.

Also, a disk can belong to only one VG by definition.

Pete

Pete
Scott Dunkley
Regular Advisor

Thanks rainer,

so does that mean I can create multiple LUNS from the one disk then allocate each LUN to a VG? or is it that a disk can only belong to one LUN?
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Scott,

I should mention that some of the array configuration features are available via the command line and even through SAM. Check they man pages on arraycfg, arraydsp, arrayfmt, arraymgr for details, as I can't remember that far back.

Pete

Pete
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Once the disk is in the AutoRaid, you will NOT see the individual disk. All you will see is additional capacity available to the AutoRaid.

What you do with that additional capacity is entirely up to you. You can create another LUN to use some of that capacity and then that LUN can be vgextended into an existing VG, then an LV extended, or you can create a new VG it is entirely up to you.