108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: adding disk to smart array 5i

SOLVED
Go to solution
Javed Bux
Occasional Advisor

adding disk to smart array 5i

Hello, I have a Compaq ML370 G2 server running netware 6 sp5 server.

It has a Smart Array 5i controller with 4x18.2Gb disks and 1 spare.

All 4 disks are in one array and I wish to add an extra 18.2gb disk to increase disk space.

Does anyone have any hints/tips guidance on how best to expand the array so i can increase the netware volume size?

When cpqonlin is run it is version 2.74
I cannot give any other info I don't think as the server is in use during the day.

All help appreciated!

12 REPLIES 12
Greg Carlson
Honored Contributor

What version of NetWare are you running?
Lets Roll!
Javed Bux
Occasional Advisor

Novell NetWare 6 with SP5
Javed Bux
Occasional Advisor

All a bit quiet...

Has no one done this with Novell then ?
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I have no experience with NetWare and this Raid controller but, adding diaks to an existing Raid set on a 5i controller an be very time consuming. We added a 72GB disk and the process has not completed after more then 12h.
Nigel Adams_1

For what it's worth, I've got a Compaq DL380 G3 with a 5i controller running NW 6 SP4 (v2.70 of cpqonlin). It had 3 x 72.8Gb disks and I've added 1 more and expanded the array. 20 hours later and it's still going...

Did you get any further with yours?
Leslie Martin
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Javed
Install the additional disk and then load cpqonlin. This is a graphical interface. Add the disk to the array using the expand the array option. When this has completed - allow approx 10 minutes per GB ! - use either NSSMU or Console1 to create a partition. If you are using NSS Volumes you can then assign the new partition to a pool of your choice and any volumes using that pool will then be able to acquire the additional space. If you are using traditional volumes then simply create volume segment(s) on the new partition for the volumes you wish to expand.
Javed Bux
Occasional Advisor

I can't remember what I did but if I tell you what cpqonlin is showing me it might help

smart array 5i Controller -- Slot 0
|_ Array A with Spare
| _ 52079 MB, RAID 5 -- Log Drive 1
| _ 21706 MB, Unused

When i select the unused space the only option I have is to create a logical drive of 17 mb. There is no option to delete and start again or add this space to the array.
any thoughts
Leslie Martin
Frequent Advisor

Javed,
Sorry about the delay, I've been away. Start cpqonlin and highlight the Array. Another menu will appear with options. Press 'Enter' key and then choose 'Expand the Array'. This will then list and highlight your unassigned drive. Press 'Enter' again and you will be given a choice of which array you wish to expand. Choose the array you wish to expand and the controller will start the expansion process. Be aware that this process can take some time ( approx 10 minutes per GB!) so do not panic if it does not finish for some time.
Javed Bux
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

I have done this and now I've ended up with the new disk added as in previous post under array a with the only option being create logical drive !

I'm thinking I may have to reboot the server and use a smart start cd to sort this out...