1748114 Members
3503 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: adding disks to EVA8000 enclosure

otukile
Frequent Advisor

adding disks to EVA8000 enclosure

we are trying to add disks to an existing enclosure and when we do so the disks are maeked as "drive not mated".

What could this mean or suggest we check? any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Don't panic
12 REPLIES 12
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

The disk drive does not have proper contact with the backplane connector, or the enclosure is damaged.

I would first try to re-seat the disk(s), then swap the disk(s) to see if the error walks with the drive or stays at the slot.
otukile
Frequent Advisor

I have double checked that the disks is properly seated on the enclosure. This is what happens (atleast from the disks LED view point): the disks is spun up, quiried and then marked faulty. The disk activity LED blinks and afterwards no activity on the disk.

Don't panic
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

It's not clear whether this is happening on all drives that you're installing, and in all slots.

"drive not mated" could sometimes be reported when you have a failed drive. If it's happening with more than one drive, then you're probably looking at a problem with the disk enclosure, or a slot on the enclosure...

Cheers,

Rob
otukile
Frequent Advisor

This is happening on all empty slots on the encloure. We randomly selected slots among the eclosures and we get the same results. We have tried using didfferent drives on the these slots. Same results also.

Our VCS fw version 5.020 and CV EVA is verson 4.0 build 53. Just in case this may have a bearing on the case.

Many thanks
Don't panic
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

OK. You're versions of XCS and Command View are quite old, but that shouldn't have an impact - unless of course the drives are too new to be recognised...

What model drives are you trying to install...?

Cheers,

Rob
otukile
Frequent Advisor

Product Number 364621-B22,
HP Model BF1465A477,
firmware version HP01,
146 GB 15K rpm dual-port 2 Gb/s FC-AL 1-inch

Other details on the drive: Seagate ST3146855FC
Don't panic
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

OK. That should be fine...

I think my next step would be to raise a service call with HP. It sounds like you may well have a broken enclosure..

If you remove all the drive blanks can you see any obvious sign of damage on the enclosure back plane ?

Cheers,
Rob
Sajeev2007
Frequent Advisor

hi, I had the same problem and had to replace the Enclosure. So log a call with HP and they will fix it. ungroup other disks in the enclosure too.
otukile
Frequent Advisor

I logged a call with HP and initially they suspected the disks were logged on the Disk Suspect List (DSL). This is where any buggy item on the EVA is logged. Clearing the DSL is reported to help.

And now they are saying my model of the disks is too recent to be recognised by VCS firmware level.

So I have no choice but to upgrade my VCS and will let you know the results afterwards.

Thanks for all the input
Don't panic