New Discussion юеВ

advice for storage on new server

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dave Chamberlin
Trusted Contributor

advice for storage on new server

Hello,
I currently run oracle with apps 10.7 on an N4000, 4x440Mhz. The disk is in 2 SC10 arrays with mirroring. The system performs well. We are upgrading to oracle11i apps and will be getting a bigger server (prob an rp7410 w/4 750MHz). I am looking at disk solutions. Though the SC10s work fine in our current situation I want to improve our IO capacity. I am looking at 2 FC10 arrays or a VA7100 or 7110 array. I am leaning towards the 7100 - since it is not much more than 2 FC10s. Is this a good choice for a limited budget? The 7110 is expandable - but is a 7110 with 30 disks more than 2 7100s with 15 disks? What kind of performance should I see compared with my SC10s? Is my data safer in the 7100 than with the FC10s? Also how difficult is disk management with the 71xx arrays? Thanks for your comments.
4 REPLIES 4
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: advice for storage on new server

I would suggest VA7110. VA7100 is a quite 'old' model and VA7110 has some advantages like expadability, supports larger disks, can have more cache and have more powerful processors.
Mirroring SC10 or FC10 is done with software. VA7110 does it internally with its firmware. I think that firmware/hardware mirroring should be more reliable and fast than software one
Eugeny
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Dave,

You might want to take a look at the EVA line (the EVA 3000 would probably suite your budget and is quite more cost-effective than the "heavies" out there -- ie. the HP XP line (actually a rebadged Hitachi frame), IBM Shark or EMC Centera/Clarion... Of course going with an HP product (Compaq Actually) like EVA would be more advantageous in your situation -- 1 vendor to blame and ask hep from - if problems arise
Hakuna Matata.
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

The DS2405 is the successor to the FC10. The DS2405 can hold up to 15 146GB drives, and has a throughput of 200MB/s per connection. the FC10 runs at half that speed (100MB/s) and the SC10 runs at 40MB/s per connection.

The solution depends on the capacity you need. for instance, if you currently have 20 36GB drives in the SC10s, then you have 360GB available. The cheapest solution would then be to use a DS2300 with 12 73GB drives which would give you the same capacity but the throughput would be 160MB/s.

-Josh
What are the chances...
James A. Donovan
Honored Contributor

For disk space on a limited budget, I would agree the 7110 is probably your best bet.

Now, let me add, as someone who just finished their 10.7 to 11i upgrade. Disk throughput will likely be the least of your performance problems! Be sure your new system has plenty of RAM and run the 64-bit version of the database, if you're not doing so already! We ran a lot of performance test scenarios and the one thing that helped more than anything else, was to run the database with an SGA of at least 3 GB.

Remember, wherever you go, there you are...