1751948 Members
4798 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

array reconfiguration

David Schweigert
Occasional Advisor

array reconfiguration

I have a Proliant ML350 G2 server with a Smart Array 532 and 6 72GB hard drives. The system was originally configured with 3 logical volumes (C, E, F) of 2 disks each using Raid-1. Due to space constraints, I want to convert the 4 non-boot disks(E & F) into one volume using Raid5 while leavign the 2 disks in the boot volume to remain intact.

At the current time, all files on volume F can be deleted as they are backups of files in other places on my network. The other volume (E) contains approximately 55GB of data that I need available on the new volume. These files are backed up on tape.

I have been reading the Array Configuration Utility User Guide, but I am not sure which path is the shortest to get done what I want to do. Can you give me some recommendations on how best to proceed?

Should I expand and migrate? Can this be done in one step?

or,
Should I delete both logical drives, create a new drive and reload the data from my backup?

What kind of time frame am I looking atr to accomplish this?
10 REPLIES 10
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: array reconfiguration

David:

The easiest way and probably the fastest is to delete array B and C, and recreate as Array B and restore the data.

If you did not want to restore the data, you can just delete C and "expand" the B array with the 2 newly available drives. The process can take a short while and it depends on how much space is currently being used on the array and how much i/o is going on. After the expansion, you can (or should be able to) migrate the logical drive to RAID5 and then recreate the 3rd logical drive if you still need it.

If you need more space on the data drive after the migration to RAID5, you can then "extend" the logical drive. You would have to then extend the filesystem via the OS. Assuming you are running Windows, you can use diskpart.exe to perform the extension. If this is the route you are going to take, let me know and I will post more about diskpart.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
David Schweigert
Occasional Advisor

I don't see restoring the data as a problem. We will be on shutdown when I do this so the data does not need to be available and I do not need to recreate the third volume. Can I delete both array B and C and then create a new Array B using all 4 drives as RAID5 through the ACU? The system is running Windows 2000 and the ACU program is ver 6.0.5.0 .
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

"Can I delete both array B and C and then create a new Array B using all 4 drives as RAID5 through the ACU?"

Yes.

Keep in mind that you can mix RAID1+0 and RAID5 in the same array. The array is not "set" as either, Logical Drives IN the array are set to a RAID level.

Steven

Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
David Schweigert
Occasional Advisor

OK, currently I have 6 physical hard drives in the array and 3 logical drives. I will end up with one logical drive of 2 HDs in RAID1 which is currently my system drive. The other 4 will be one RAID5 logical drive.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

OK, currently I have 6 physical hard drives in the array and 3 logical drives. I will end up with one logical drive of 2 HDs in RAID1 which is currently my system drive. The other 4 will be one RAID5 logical drive.

Wait, hold up. I though you had 3 separate ARRAY's.

Do you have 1 Array with 3 logical drives?

If so, the you can just delete logical drive 2 and 3, then create a new logical drive, raid5 with the available space.

Both logical drives would use ALL 6 drives.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
David Schweigert
Occasional Advisor

After deleting the logical drives 2 & 3 and then creating a new logical RAID5 drive, I will need to format the drive and reload data, correct? How long should I expect it to take for the delete and create? How long do you think the format will take?
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

"After deleting the logical drives 2 & 3 and then creating a new logical RAID5 drive, I will need to format the drive and reload data, correct?"

Yes.

"How long should I expect it to take for the delete and create?"

Minutes, if not seconds.

"How long do you think the format will take?"

Quick format = seconds
Regular format = depends on size, but probably minutes

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
David Schweigert
Occasional Advisor

OK Thank you.
David Schweigert
Occasional Advisor

I am looking at the ACU screen for my system. Under the controller, I have array A, Array B, and Array C. each array has two physical hard drives setup with raid 1+0. My question is, how do I know which array is my system drive? Nowhere do I see the drive letters c: E: F: assigned. Is Array A the system by default?