Disk Enclosures
1753771 Members
4858 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: attaching 2 Proliant DL380's to a single MSA 70

tkrampy

attaching 2 Proliant DL380's to a single MSA 70

I have been getting conflicting information from the MSA70 documentation and our hardware vendor on whether or not we can attach 2 Proliant DL380's to 1 MSA70.

Each DL380 will have a P800 controller card and will be attached to the MSA70 to share the volumes on the MSA70, basically in an active/active cluster.

We already have 1 DL380 attached, all i want to do is add another, but I dont want to purchase the additional I/O module and card unless we can do this

Can anyone provide any advise?
5 REPLIES 5
Ali
HPE Pro

Hi there,

check this thread, might be helpful.
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1232772

from the quickspecs
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12652_div/12652_div.html

On HP ProLiant servers Dual Domain support is available for the HP Smart Array P800 attached to a MSA70 with the addition of the HP StorageWorks Dual Domain I/O Module Option (AG779A). (Single initiator environment only.)

Dual Domain support with HP Smart Array P800 Controller for HP ProLiant and Integrity servers (requires dual port SAS drives) (single environment only)

thanks,
Aftab
I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base тАУ Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

tkrampy

Thanks for the answer. Would this still work if I have single port SAS drives?

from what I am trying to do is just have one connection from the MSA70 to each server, not 2 connections, so would this really be a 'dual domain' configuration? would this configuration still require dual port drives?

Ali
HPE Pro

that's what I understand frm the quickspecs

HP Smart Array P800 Controller (381513-B21) supports Dual Domain on the MSA70 with the addition of the HP StorageWorks Dual Domain I/O Module in a single initiator environment.
Requires Dual port SAS drives

For proliant servers ....Yes Dual port HDDs are required.

however, on other platform like few integrity server I guess it does not require Dual port hdds.

HP (AH303A) SC44Ge Host Bus Adapter supports Dual Domain on the MSA70 with the addition of the HP StorageWorks Dual Domain I/O Module in a Multi Initiator environment. Supports only HP-UX and Open VMS and on selected HP Integrity Servers only.
I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base тАУ Just a Click Away!

Accept or Kudo

Frank Van Riet
Advisor

Hello,

Just to clarify : it is not supported to attach 2 ProLiant servers to a single MSA70. Only Integrity servers are supported in a 'shared SAS' environment, and only when running HP-UX.

If you want to build a cluster, you will need an external array like the MSA2000 or P2000 G3 MSA.

Regards,

Frank

Ali
HPE Pro

Hi Tkrampy,

Addition to the previous post,

As stated earlier, HP Smart Array P800 Controller (381513-B21) supports Dual Domain on the MSA70 with the addition of the HP StorageWorks Dual Domain I/O Module in a single initiator environment.

and Dual-domain SAS: servers in two-node cluster
which is Multi-Path, 2-Node, HA cluster configuration

Hope guide attached will clarify all your doubts. please refer to page 4-7
http://h30499.www3.hp.com/hpeb/attachments/hpeb/bsc-428/5747/1/331741.pdf

Thanks,

Please don't forget to assign points if you think information provided is helpful... :)

thanks
Aftab
I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo