108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: autoRAID C5447A

SOLVED
Go to solution
Greg Smith_10
Advisor

autoRAID C5447A

I'm trying to find some info regarding an "autoRAID C5447A". I've tried general searches in ITRC, on Partsurfer and on the internet with very little luck. I'm looking at an ioscan which clearly identifies this as an array but again, I can't find any more info than that. Specifically, what I'm trying to find is an operator's guide and a physical breakdown of the unit.
8 REPLIES 8
Greg Carlson
Honored Contributor
Solution

Greg,

Here is the link for the autoraid 12h
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Resource.jsp?locale=en_US&taskId=120&prodSeriesId=33733&prodTypeId=12169

There doesn't appear to be any manual that I can find here.. I'll keep searching.

Ciao,
Greg
Lets Roll!
Greg Smith_10
Advisor

Thanks Greg. This and it's related links are exactly what I was looking for.

How did you figure out this was a 12H? Was it because it's an "autoRAID" or were you able to look it up elsewhere? I'm curious because a 12H comes up no problem on Partsurfer, however it doesn't give C5447A as a model type. As it turns out, one of the models it does give (A3700A) is the model for this unit. Very confusing!
Greg Carlson
Honored Contributor

Greg,

I wasn't able to find anything with the C5447a number. I'm not sure what that is in regards to actually. I just searched on the autoraid to find what you needed. Do you have the A3700AD model?

Greg
Lets Roll!
Greg Smith_10
Advisor

No, it's an A3700A.
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

I suspect that you got confused when you did an ioscan and saw 'HP C5447A' in the description field. You translated that into "HP Product Number" which isn't the same thing at all. The 12H's Product Number is a A3700A,A3700AD, or A3700AZ depending upon options.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Greg Smith_10
Advisor

That's exactly what happened but I can't understand why. The ioscan clearly shows the drives as, "sdisk CLAIMED DEVICE HP C5447A". When you do a "map" command from cstm> it shows the path then says, "Disk Array (HPC5447A) under "Product". Finally, in the "Information Tool Log" it gives the following description (actual copy & paste):

Hardware path:
8/8.0
Vendor ID = HP
Product ID = C5447A
Array serial number = 000000057FCA

... it then repeats it for all other hardware paths. So, why wouldn't it simply give the A3700A model number for the array and it's associated hard drives (ie. A3702A - 4gb or A3703A - 9gb)?

A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Well, let me try again.

The SCSI initiator sends a Device Inquiry (12h) request to the designated SCSI device. The device checks its non-volatile memory and responds. In bytes 8-15 the Vendor ID values ("HP") are returned and in bytes 16-31 the Product ID values ("C5447A") are returned. Now these are SCSI Defined Names for these fields (think designed by Dilbert); the HP Product Numbers on the other hand are determined by the management/marketing guys (think of pointy-heads). In short, the SCSI INQUIRY values have nothing to do with Product Numbers (except by accident). I suspect that you could look all over a 12H and never find a C5447A but you will find A3700XX on it.

Moral of this story: Drag yourself to the data center and look --- or have someone else do it for you. Plan B: In your firmware (the stuff inside your head), build a mapping function to do the translations. Just to make it extra confusing, on some devices the strings returned by the SCSI INQUIRY do match the HP Product Numbers.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Greg Smith_10
Advisor

Wow.. that's very interesting! Thanks for taking the time to clarify that.

Greg