Disk Enclosures
1748017 Members
3986 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

can i build an eva with only one controller??

SOLVED
Go to solution
roland hajj
Occasional Contributor

can i build an eva with only one controller??

hi,
we just received a new eva 4000 2C1D configuration. but we had a problem on starting it up. after some troubleshooting, we found that we ad a deffective controller (it stops at TE: 7), and the second one is operational. i started it up with only the good controller, and was able to enter the WWN. i started the initialisation process from Command View, but it always gives me : initialisation failed. i have the HSV v.5100, with CV v.5.1.
can anyone help, please.
regards
7 REPLIES 7
Maggie Sanche
Advisor
Solution

Re: can i build an eva with only one controller??

Double check your cabling, I had trouble with a controller starting up because my customer had zones on his switches and not everything could talk.... but I found that I could NOT start up with only one controller... get another controller in. if the one is defective.
Luk Vandenbussche
Honored Contributor

Open a HW at HP to replace the defective controller before initialisation it.

You have one year next day standartwarranty on a new eva4000
roland hajj
Occasional Contributor

i already opened a cll, and the new controller is on his way. but it'll take a full month to arrive. i thought of speeding things up a little bit, and get done with the configuration, while waiting for the new controller.
so as i understand, it's impossible to initialize an eva with only one controller???
please confirm on the above.
Thomas J. Harrold
Trusted Contributor

I am told by one of our CE's that the ONLY time you need both controllers online is when you are initializing the EVA. Assuming he is correct (I'll see if I can find it documented anywhere...), that's bad news for you.

If I hear anything differently, I'll post here...

-tjh
I learn something new everyday. (usually because I break something new everyday)
cva
Occasional Advisor

Yes I guess that EVA can be run with single controller. Since the controllers are meant for redundant purpose.

Provide me with full configuration what u have got. I could tell provide more help.

Check with the documentation.

cva
roland hajj
Occasional Contributor

it was confirmed to me, that building an eva with only one controlle, might have worked with previous versions of of HSV.
thanks all for your replies.
roland hajj
Occasional Contributor

regards