4082 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

can't see FC60 disks on L1000

Barbara Kramer
Frequent Advisor

can't see FC60 disks on L1000

Hi,
our FC60, attached to an HP L1000 needs to retire. It will be given away along with the L1000. My task is to erase all data before the HW will leave the house.
The FC60 and the L1000 have not been in our network and all lvremove, vgremove and mediainit is being done via terminal, which is attached directly on the server.
All HW is on, I can access the L1000 just fine, yet I do not see any of the FC60 Disks.
Does anyone have any idea. Is it, because sever and FC60 are not in a network anymore?
Thanks for helping out
Barbara
PS: yes, all cabeling has been checked and all leds for the disks in the FC60 are green
live is great !!
6 REPLIES 6
TTr
Honored Contributor

Re: can't see FC60 disks on L1000

You will not be able to see the individual FC60 disks from the server.

The FC60 is an array controller so all disks that are attached to it are seen by the FC60 controller. The FC60 binds the disks into LUNs and these LUNs are the logical disk devices that are seen by the server.

If you did mediainit on the FC60 LUNs, all the data was erased on the LUNs but if you want to go a step further, you have to attach each SC10 directly to a SCSI controller on the L1000. Then you will see the disks on the L100 and do mediainit, dd etc.
Barbara Kramer
Frequent Advisor

Hi,
thanks for the responce!
The array controller deamon is running on the L1000. He is telling me the luns are not vissible, which of course is true. I have not done any mediainit or dd. I want to erase all data on the disks of the FC60.
You are saying, I need to attach each SC10 directly to a SCSI controller on the L1000, in order to delete all data?
My big question remains, I booted the server and luns are not vissible. Is it because they are not in a network anymore. Can the controller only respond via network?
Thanks for helping
Barbara
live is great !!
Arend Lensen
Trusted Contributor

Barbera,

The WriteZerosFlag should be enabled by default and this means that the creation of a new lun will write zero's into the new lun and hence overwrite all existing data.
This is why it takes so much time to create new luns.

Regards,
Arend
Barbara Kramer
Frequent Advisor

HI,
I do not want to create new luns, or overwrite them, yet, my question remains, why do I not see the luns of the FC60?
FC60 and L0000 are not in the network anymore. FC60 is attached to L1000 through controler. Deamon of array controller is running, but I do not see any luns
Any ideas?
Thanks
Barbara
live is great !!
Arend Lensen
Trusted Contributor

Barbara,

Please run the attached script en post the output here, so we can have a closer look at your system. If you do not like to run it then please post an ioscan -fn and tell us on what interface you expect to see the array.

Kind regards,
Arend
TTr
Honored Contributor

Some questions,

Is the "daemon of the array controller" connecting to the FC60? Does it show anything about the FC60?

Is the fiber attached from the L1000 to the FC60 or were they connected via a SAN switch?

Regardless whether you can see the FC60 or not via the daemon, the LUNs should still be visible in "ioscan" if the L1000 is fiber attached to the FC60.