1752782 Members
6019 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

connecting MSA30 to MSA1000

lynxms17
Occasional Advisor

connecting MSA30 to MSA1000

I have a working MSA1000 that I am going to expand by adding an MSA30 enclosure. I have (4) 300 gig drives in the MSA30. I have one drive each in bay (1) thru (3) and one drive in bay (14). Where or how do I connect the scsi cables? I had them connected portA to portA and portB to portB but I only see one of the added drives (bay 14).
5 REPLIES 5
Jefferson Humber
Honored Contributor

Re: connecting MSA30 to MSA1000

Sounds like you have the MSA30-DB (Dual Bus). Just connect the A & B channels to the MSA1000, you will need both connected.

You need to power up the MSA30 before the MSA1000.

Hope this helps,

Jeff
I like a clean bowl & Never go with the zero
lynxms17
Occasional Advisor

thanks Jeff but if I understand you correctly, I should simply plug both ends of one cable into port A on both the 1000 and the 30, then plug another cable into both port B's correct?

I have done this but again, only the drive in bay (14) shows up.

My full sequence was:
1) mount the enclosure in the rack
2) plug drives into the new enclosure as noted above
3) plug cables into the 1000 and 30 (portA-portA, portB-portB)
4) apply power to the MSA30

I'm really hoping I can bring this online hot as I have at least 4 W2K3 servers and 2 VMWare servers hosting 8 W2K3 servers and a couple dozen bricks live on the MSA1000 and ... we are a CPA/Accounting firm and if I tell my users that I have to 'reboot' the network during Tax Season ... I'm gonna get coal in my stocking for sure! ;)
John Kufrovich
Honored Contributor

First off, anything on the MSA with a maroon button or tab is hot swappable.

Sounds like you had the cabling correct. PA to PA, PB to PB.

If the drives have never been part of a LUN, then you could try this. Empty the MSA30 shelf of drives. Connect it to the MSA1000 and power the MSA30 up. Hot add one drive, check the MSA1000 LCD for drive recognition. If the drive is seen by the 1000, then add the second drive, so forth.

If the drive isn't seen, then I'm afraid you may have to power cycle your SAN.
lynxms17
Occasional Advisor

>> First off, anything on the MSA with a maroon button or tab is hot swappable.

all drives are hot-swap

>> Sounds like you had the cabling correct. PA to PA, PB to PB.

check ...

>> If the drives have never been part of a LUN, then you could try this. Empty the MSA30 shelf of drives. Connect it to the MSA1000 and power the MSA30 up. Hot add one drive, check the MSA1000 LCD for drive recognition. If the drive is seen by the 1000, then add the second drive, so forth.

tried that just after I sent off my last post. The LCD on the MSA 1000 saw drive bay 14 but none of the others ...

>> If the drive isn't seen, then I'm afraid you may have to power cycle your SAN.

You are an evil man ... ;)

sounds like we'll be staying late some night eh?

thanks .. I'll post results
John Kufrovich
Honored Contributor

If the b side can see drive 14, why not try
BAYs 13,12,11,10?