1748280 Members
3835 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

d2d4000i

MAXIME B├ЙLANGER

d2d4000i

Hi,

I have some question about d2d4000 disk storage system.

First question :
I read it can support up to 16 servers simultaneously? Does it possible to configure this equipement to backup 2 group of 16 servers or i need 2 d2d4000 to backup 32 server ?

My second question is about the network where is attached the d2d4000 iscsi system. Does i need a special switch to support iscsi protocol or any cisco gig switch will work fine with this hardware.

thanks
3 REPLIES 3
Phillip Thayer
Esteemed Contributor

Re: d2d4000i

Maxime,

The D2D4000i will allow you to create iSCSI connections to 16 servers. However, depending on the backup software you're using you may not need to do this. With DataProtector you would configure the iSCSI to connect the tape drives to the nodes that would have the media agents on them. Then you could create multiple tape drive libraries connecting them to the nodes with the media agents. Let DataProtector push the data to the tape libraries via the media agents.

As for the second question, you want to connect the D2D4000 to a gig switch but make sure it is a non-blocking Cisco switch. DO NOT use the 3750G and 3560G switches with ANY iSCSI devices because they will cause sever performance problems with the iSCSI traffic. Also, you want to connect the servers that will be talking to the D2D4000i to the same switch where possible.

Phil
Once it's in production it's all bugs after that.
MAXIME B├ЙLANGER

Thanks Phillips but i need more information,

How many agent can i configure and backup with the d2d4000 ? Does it possible to install 32 agent and backup those server in two batch ? I need to know if the d2d4000 will refuse more than 16 different connection . Where is the limitation

Does Hp dataprotector is the best software to use with d2d4000?

I read iscsi switch must use dataflow and jumbo frame. Have you a cisco switch model in mind for my configuration.
Phillip Thayer
Esteemed Contributor

Maxime,

The D2D4000 is a virtualized tape library system. So the only systems you need to configure to connect to it are the systems that will need to access the tape drives. If you have more than 16 systems accessing the tape drive you will need more than one D2D4000 system.

That very reason is why HP DataProtector is the preferred backup software. In DataProtector, the only systems that will need to access the tape drives are the systems with the media agents on them. All the other systems will send their data through those systems. Server A,B,C,D are being backed up. Server A and B have physical access to the tape drive and are configured to connect to the tape drive. DataProtector pushes all the data from C and D to A and/or B and then servers A and/or B will write the data to the tape libraries. So if you only need 5 servers to write the data for 32 servers to tape, you only need to configure A and B to be connected to the D2D4000.

The best Cisco switch for this type of system is the Cisco 3570E or 4948.

Phil
Once it's in production it's all bugs after that.