108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: daid 5 partition speed

SOLVED
Go to solution
Justin Fourie
Advisor

daid 5 partition speed

hi i have a raid 5 aray mad up of 3 146.8 drives will creating 2 partitions on the array in windows it slow down read write performance
3 REPLIES 3
e4services
Honored Contributor

This is true, it will be slower than a single drive on a standard controller. THere is processing involve to construct the array each write.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Scott_59
Frequent Advisor

I wouldn't be too concerned. Both partitions will be in the same Raid 5 array. If you had two databases and both wrote to the separate partitions then I might suggest a different approach.

Scott
Shameer.V.A
Respected Contributor
Solution

Hi Justin,
This is normal for RAID 5 array. This is because, I/O will be waiting till the parity get generated & written to the disk.

You can boost the performance by enabling Writeback & read ahead feature.

You should have a BBU ( Battery Backup Unit) Installed on RAID Controller for enabling Write back. - Which will do the writing later. Otherwise data corruption may happen, if power fails. You can increase the performance of RAID array by increasing the cache on RAID Controller & by splitting the disks through multiple channels, if you have multiple channel RAID Controller.

Regards,

Shameer
.... See invisible, feel intangible and achieve impossible as everything is possible ....