1748266 Members
3622 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

deleting diagnostic partition

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

deleting diagnostic partition

I have proliant 5500 /smart 3200 with 5 18gb drives in one array partitioned into dos. compaq, nw, and nss-partitions, plus 20 GB unused. I'd like to use this 20 gb now, but netware refuses to use it due to the four partitions limit.
Can I delete the compaq-partition (diagnostic partition or system configuration partition I've seen it called)?
What will I lose? Ability to boot, ability to configure/diagnose the system altogether, or just the ability to diagnose without bringing the server down and loading the programs from cd?
2 REPLIES 2
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: deleting diagnostic partition

I don't understand why there are 4 partition in one logical driver,in regular,partition 1 is system partition(compaq),partition 2 is DOS partition, partition 3 is Netware partition, I don't know what is nss partition,if you really want to delete compaq system partition,do it,don't worry,nothing will be lose, but you want to configure or diagnose server later,you need SmartStart CD, run any program from CD !!
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: deleting diagnostic partition

deleting the compaq system partition requires you to use smartstart or diskettes for hw configuration and diagnostics.
the ASR (automatic server recovery) feature cannot map out bad memory and bad processors after a hw failure if there is no cpq sys. part.

ernesto from germany