3827 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: direct attached storage system and virtual servers

Peterbr
Occasional Visitor

direct attached storage system and virtual servers

Hello

I have a question about a direct attached storage system.

The system has 12 600GB 15k disk and I want to put all 12 disks in one big array set

But what about the logical drives. On the system we want to run 8 virtual servers (Hyper-V)

So is it better to create for every virtual server a separate logical driver (Raid 1+0) or create one big logical drive (Raid 1+0) and put all the virtuals on the same drive

So the question is what is best for the performance?

Thanks

Peter   

4 REPLIES 4
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hello,

what kind of array do you have?

If you have one RAID6+6 that's going to give you more performance available for each server, but you could have one machine hogging all the available resources.

In vmware you have the option of letting a virtual machine use the whole disk - or store the vm as files on a disk. Can you do the same in hyper-v? Are there any advantages / disadvantages?
Peterbr
Occasional Visitor

Hello Johan

The Array is a HP StorageWorks D2600 12 x 600GB 15K rpm SAS

And we want to use it with Microsoft Hyper-V

Peterbr
Occasional Visitor

In Hyper-V you can use a hyper-v passthrough disk but that is no option because that cost a lot of disk drives we want to use virtual disk files

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Maybe somebody else here can comment on Windows + D2600.

With Linux and XFS in a d2600 I got more performance with one large logical drive instead of many smaller ones, oddly enough the default settings were also good.