1753437 Members
4988 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: disk array compatible with K class server

curt larson_1
Honored Contributor

disk array compatible with K class server

i'm looking for a hp disk arrays that would connect to a K class server via hvd scsi or fibre channel, holds 0-20 disk, not any XP's or emc's. something such as A3311A/A3312A with df disks.

any suggestions?
6 REPLIES 6
Peter Mattei
Honored Contributor

SCSI is not an option because there are no new HVD disk systems available anymore!

So the only option is Fibre Channel. In all cases you will need the FC HBA A6685A for you K-Class.

The possible arrays can choose of are:

1. VA7110, scales from 4 up to 45 Fibre Channel drives of either 36, 73 or 146GB.

2. VA7410, scales from 10 up to 105 Fibre Channel drives of either 36, 73 or 146GB.

3. EVA3000, scales from 8 up to 54 Fibre Channel drives of either 36, 73 or 146GB.

4. EVA5000, scales from 8 up to 240 Fibre Channel drives of either 36, 73 or 146GB.

All four systems are Virtual Arrays which ease up administration and are very well suited for heterogeneous environments.

Note:
- EVAs can only be SAN-attached meaning you need switches in any case. EVA are supported with HP-UX 11.0 and up. For multipathing you need SecurePath software.
- VAs can be either SAN or direct attached to a server! VAs are supported with HP-UX 10.20 and up. For multipathing you can optionally use SecurePath or you can use the native alternate pathing from HP-UX (PVLINK)

For Product info see:
http://h18006.www1.hp.com/storage/arraysystems.html

Cheers
Peter
I love storage
Jesse Dougherty
Honored Contributor

Curt, you can get the A3312A arrays on your "K" box via 28696A SCSI-2 HP-PB FWD adapters or A2969A SCSI-2 HSC FWD adapters. They only hold 8 fast wide differential drives but capacity using 8 36GB drives is 288GB per array.

Hope this helps
Jesse
Cypress Tech
jesse@cypress-tech.com
Peter Mattei
Honored Contributor

You could attach the A3312A system if it was still available.
Unfortunately it is obsolete for quite a while.
What you can try is to get a used or renewed one!
The disadvantage is that you get an "old" system where upgrade parts are hard to find.
Support is also a topic to look at.

Cheers
Peter
I love storage
curt larson_1
Honored Contributor

yes i already know about the jamaica's. I was hopefully looking for a few replies from others about the kind of arrays they have used in the past/present, such as Peter.
Jesse Dougherty
Honored Contributor

I was just giving you a less expensive option, if you have unlimited funds than the VA arrays are the way to go. Below are a few different lower end arrays that you can connect to the K.

1. A3700A Model 12H AutoRAID array
2. A5616A HVD10 SureStore array
3. A3550A Model 20 High Availability array
4. A3661A Model 30 Fibre Channel High Availability array
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Actually, a very good match for a K-box and they are dirt cheap on the used equipment markets these days is an AutoRAID 12H. Maximum capacity is 12X36GB 10K RPM disks.

If you play by the rules (allocate only about half the available space as LUNs so that the array stays in RAID 10 at all times) and fully utilize both extern SCSI buses with separate controllers, these old gals will actually perform quite well. On the other hand, if you push them into significant RAID5 and don't split the SCSI data over both external paths then you will have a real dog. Rather than maintenance, I would simply buy an extra array or two -- they are that cheap.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.