1751693 Members
4655 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: error message when back up a volume group

Eduardo Jaime M.
Occasional Contributor

error message when back up a volume group

Recently, I replaced a failed disk on the volume group VG01, after that, any intent to back up it, the next message appears:

xcaret.root:/etc/lvmconf>vgcfgbackup vg01
vgcfgbackup: /etc/lvmtab is out of date with the running kernel:Kernel indicates 7 disks for "/dev/vg01"; /etc/lvmtab has 6 disks.
Cannot proceed with backup.
xcaret.root:/etc/lvmconf>

How do I resolve this?
Thank You.
5 REPLIES 5
David Navarro
Respected Contributor

Hi, Eduardo, probably it happens because you extend new disk in volume group, and you do not replaced it.
If I was you, I probably do and vgexport -m -p vg01.map /dev/vg01. This export data of volume group, then vgexport vg01, and finally vgimport -m vg01.map /dev/vg01 (first create /dev/vg01 and recreate group file (mknod /dev/vg01/group c 64 0x010000)).
This will export vg01 from your config and then imports it with all disks that had the same vgid.
Very Importat, Backup all data first. This operation do not loose info, but and accident can happen.

Best Luck
Wodisch
Honored Contributor

Hello,

have you tried using "vgscan"?
Move that "/etc/lvmtab" to another place/name
and start "vgscan -v". Then you will get a new
and current one.

HTH,
Wodisch
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

After you replaced the disk, did you do a vgcfgrestore to the disk to restore the VG configuration?
Eduardo Jaime M.
Occasional Contributor

I used vgexport and vgimport to replace the disk.
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Hi Ed,

Looks like what you did was put the new disk a different Id than the failed disk and added the new disk in the VG rather than doing a vgcfgrestore to the new disk.

So now our lvmtab shows the old disk as well as the new disk. Do a "strings /etc/lvmtab" and see the disks mentioned in the VG you are talking about.

Hope this helps.

Thanks