4596 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: eva + lvm striping

ChewSP
Contributor

eva + lvm striping

i would just like to know if there is any benefit in implementing this:

eva with a few virtual disk and then lvm stripe them into a single vg.

will there be performance improvement? is it a best practice?
6 REPLIES 6
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Hi,
No, it will not give any performance benefit nor be any "best practice".

You can activate the full performance of the EVA, using one single LUN.
Markus_10
Valued Contributor

Be aware of this:

When presenting only one vdsik to a HP-UX System you have to change the kernel paramater:
scsi_max_depth - standard is 8

Some of our customers had very poor performance, aftre raising this paramter everything works fine.

This parameter must be set in VMware ESX environments too, when using only one LUN.

Markus
Peter Mattei
Honored Contributor

Look at this:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=lpg35039

And Leif: In order to achieve full performance of an EVA you need to allocate at least 2 LUNs, 1 on each controller!

Cheers
Peter
I love storage
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

I don't think its a good idea. There would be little or no performance gain with LVM striping.

As you might be aware , EVA does the striping of its own. So there would be double striping .If you enable LVM striping , there are overheads involved as well. From OS perception , there would be slight LVM striping overhead . From EVA perception, it is little more overhead to it as you are making him work more. Although EVA is powerful enough to handle the overhead, it is always good to allow him to work of its own.

To get maximum throuput from EVA you can have 1 disk group and Vdisks/LUNs equally distributed/balanced on the two controllers.

Although it is not mentioned in HP's best practices about LVM striping, I would say it is not required.
Mike Reznak
Trusted Contributor

If you have free resources, then test the different configurations, to the real impact.
Mike
...and I think to myself, what a wonderful world ;o)
Mike Reznak
Trusted Contributor

Sorry. Once more the whole sentence...
If you have free resources, then test the different configurations, to see the real impact.
Mike
...and I think to myself, what a wonderful world ;o)