New Discussion юеВ

Re: eva5000 connected to superdome

SOLVED
Go to solution
robert dodd_2
Advisor

eva5000 connected to superdome

Hi All

I have recently upgraded an EVA to 3.020 VCS, and also securepath (3.0E) and platform kit (3.0E) No problems, but we are discussing the settings in secure path on the superdome, currently load balancing and auto restore are turned off. There are two paths to the EVA and wonder if this will improve performance if we set load balancing to on.
Customer Engineer
9 REPLIES 9
Bostjan Kosi
Trusted Contributor

Load ballancig will help, auto restore should stay off...you don't want any ping pong activity. Also manualy using spmgr load balance vdisks to different HBA's.
This manual ballance makes great performance increase....
Nothing is impossible for those that don't have to do it themselves!
Peter Mattei
Honored Contributor

You should switch load balancing and auto restore to on.
By the way, if you have 2 HBAs connected to all four ports of the EVA you should see 4 paths.
If load balancing is off 1 path must be avtive, 1 path available and 2 pathes standby .
If Load balancing is on 2 pathes must be active and two standby.

If there are 2 HBAs installed and you do not see 4 paths, there is a problem.

Read more about it on http://h200005.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00248499/c00248499.pdf

Cheer
Peter
I love storage
robert dodd_2
Advisor

Thanks guys

I will have a closer look at the config when I get back in - currently there are two superdome partitions connected via 2 brocade switches, each partition sees two paths to the vdisks, although these paths do not have drivers assigned, this occurs later on in the IOSCAN, instead of "real" addresses (I.E 0/0/10...) there are 255.255 addresses which have c37dxtx assigned. I will attach an IOSCAN tommorow to explain this.

I will read through the manual - it appears that the round-robin setting will alternate the paths.

Thanks for your advice

Customer Engineer
robert dodd_2
Advisor

I have attached the ioscan and spmgr information fo anyone interested!
Customer Engineer
Peter Mattei
Honored Contributor

Well, you have to understand that you do actually have 4 pathes to the EVA.
A single LUN belongs to one of the 2 EVA Controllers which presents it on both of its ports. In your case one port active the other available.
The other controller presents the same LUN on both ports as standby.
In case of a failure that needs the LUN to be moved to the other controller SecurePath will take care of it.

Cheers
Peter
I love storage
robert dodd_2
Advisor

Thanks Peter

I am new to EVA (have worked mainly with VA and XPs), normally on the array side of the solution, rather than the server side!

I will read the manual this weekend, and prepare for the change (I take it that the device files will not change, which would mean LVM rework?)

Regards - Robert
Customer Engineer
Peter Mattei
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Robert

No, once SecurePath is installed the device pathes will stay the same.

Have a nice weekend!
I will go sking
Peter
I love storage
robert dodd_2
Advisor

Excellent! Enjoy the slopes.

I am moving an XP512 from one site to another, plus some 9000 and MPE servers :(

Apart from that, I will be doing the garden!

Regards
Customer Engineer
robert dodd_2
Advisor

All info supplied
Customer Engineer