4999 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: failed disks in M20

Rambo_1
Regular Advisor

failed disks in M20

Hi
There were failed disks in M20 disk array ,the slot is C0 and C1 . I plan to replace them with the good disk in other slots ,such as : A2,B2,C2,D2.
what shoud be care when I replace the bad disk with good disk.

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Mohanasundaram_1
Honored Contributor

Hi Rambo,

I have not worked on this particular disk array M20. Are you talking about Model-20 Nike disk Array? If it is model-20 Nike, let me know if the disk failures are in different LUN and their RAID levels. I will provide you the procedure for replacing them.

In general, replacing a bad disk means,
-------------------
Remove the failed disk and add the new disk in the same slot. In your case, you need to insert disks in C0 and C1 after removing the failed disks.
--------------------
If you add disks in other slots, it is just increasing the capacity of the array. This does not substitute for your failed disks.

Replacing the disks may have to be done in a particular sequence and in particular array states only.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Mohan.
Attitude, Not aptitude, determines your altitude
Rambo_1
Regular Advisor

Hi Mohan,
Thanks for your reply.
The disk array is Model-20 Nike disk Array.
There are 20 disks in this disk array, They are A0,A1,A2,A3;BO,B1,B2,B3;C0,C1,C2,C3 ;D0,D1,D2,D3,E0,E1,E2,E3. Some disks are good and unused now such E0,E1,E2,E3 . In fact, I want to replace the C0,C1 whit E0,E1 or E2,E3 .
If E0...E3 belond to a LUN ,should I unbind them firstly ?
What do you mean that replacing the disks may have to be done in a particular sequence and in particular array states only.

BR
Mohanasundaram_1
Honored Contributor

Hi Rambo,
If you plan to use the disks from the same array, then

1) Unbind the disks from the LUN. The data on that LUN will be lost.

2) Ensure that the failed disk and the replacement disk are of the same capacity.

3) Replace C0 disk and wait for the array to rebuild. Do not perform any other action while rebuilding.

4) Replace C1 disk and again wait for rebuilding.

As soon as You insert the disk it should start rebuilding.

Let me know how it goes.

Meanwhile I will try to find out more info for you.

Cheers,
Mohan.
Attitude, Not aptitude, determines your altitude
Rambo_1
Regular Advisor

Hi Mohan
Thanks for your reply. I will have a try at this week.

Thanks & BR