New Discussion юеВ

finding Hosts connected in san switch of EVA

SOLVED
Go to solution
joinsiva
Advisor

finding Hosts connected in san switch of EVA

Hi everybody,

We have got an HP EVA5000 connected to hosts through 2 HP san 2/16v switches.

Now, i like to find out,

ports to server mapping.

whether the switch is having the capablity to find the hostnames or a wwn number for the connected fc card ??..

is there any other way to find out, other than manually tracing the fibre cables !!!.

thanks in advance
sivakumar p.
5 REPLIES 5
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Re: finding Hosts connected in san switch of EVA

Don't you have the ability to connect to the eva array and find this? It's been a while since I've done it, so I don't remember the steps or the software.

live free or die
harry d brown jr
Live Free or Die
joinsiva
Advisor

harry,

From EVA we will come to know the hosts connected to it .

But it will not relate to the port number of the san switch!.

i want the ports to server mapping, i feel we will get it from Fabric commands.

regards,
sivakumar p.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

The EVA uses the Fibre Channel adapter's WWN to create its Host entry. The Fibre Channel switch does not know what the host's name is, although some fibre channel drives have the ability to put the name into the identification string that is registered into the Fibre Channel switch's name server.

The command for the SANswitch 2/16V to get a nicely formatted lists of WWNs attached to the switch ports is:
> switchShow

If you tell us what servers / operating systems you use, then I'm sure somebody can tell you how to display the WWN there, too.
Matt Tourney
Frequent Advisor

If your hosts are already configured in the EVA, then you can view the WWNs of them inside Command View EVA. Simply navigate the "Hosts" tree, find a system, then make note of the WWNs of the port(s) currently assigned to that hosts.

Then, either telnet into the switch and use the "switchshow" command that was suggested earlier, or point your web browser to the IP address of the switch and open its web tools. Click the Name Server icon near the lower left hand side of the page. The Name Server table for that switch will be displayed. Find the WWN for that server in the table and then you can identify which switch port it is plugged into.

You will likely have to do this for both switch fabrics in order to trace all WWNs for your servers.

I suggest keeping track of this in a spreadsheet. Attached is a template that I use for documenting switch port assignments and EVA configurations.

Good luck to you.
huh?
joinsiva
Advisor

Thks a lot.

i could create the mapping that way.

regards
sivakumar p.