Disk Enclosures
1752455 Members
5907 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

how to restore a virtual disk from a snapclone?

Karen Dorhamer
Occasional Contributor

how to restore a virtual disk from a snapclone?

I am using Command View EVA 9.1 and have created a snapclone of a virtual disk and would like to be able to restore the snapclone to the virtual disk. (in the attached screenshot, I would like to restore "Copy of Vdisk002 orig undo" to Vdisk002, for example).

The help page for "Vdisk properties - General Page" includes the info listed below about restore. But it is not clear to me how to perform the restore. There is no "restore" button on the general page for the snapclone or the original vdisk. I tried unmounting the filesystem from the OS and unpresented the vdisk from the host, but it's not clear to me what the next step is. Do I need to have Replication Solution Manager installed to get this functionality?

Thanks,
Karen

Here is the text from the "Vdisk properties - General page" help page:

Restore. Copies data from a snapshot or a mirrorclone to the virtual disk.

Before you begin the restore, unmount the source virtual disk form the host. During the restore, the progress indicator may stay at 0% for some time. This occurs because the controller software is completing background progressing checks before initiating the restore. Wait for the restore to complete.

3 REPLIES 3
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Re: how to restore a virtual disk from a snapclone?

Humm, if you read carefully, it says "Copies data from a snapshot or a mirrorclone...". It does not speak about snapclones.

That's because once a snapclone is created it becomes an independent vdisk like any other, with no relation to the vdisk it was created from.
Karen Dorhamer
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for pointing out that the restore is just for snapshots and mirrorclones, and not snapclones.

We just installed the Replication Solution Manager software. Using this software, I am able to highlight a vdisk and a right click on the disk presents a menu which includes the option "instant restore". This does allow restoring a snapclone to the original vdisk (after the filesystem has been unmounted on the host OS and the vdisk is unpresented).

Karen
Mark...
Honored Contributor

Hi,
Well there is a way to do it, kind off.
****WARNING***
ONLY DO THIS IF YOU DO NOT WANT THE DATA ON THE DISK YOU WISH TO "RESTORE" TO.

OK:
1: unpresent the disk you wish to restore to.
2: turn this disk into a container (menu option) and remember what container no it is called -***WARNING***THIS WILL MAKE ALL DATA ON THE DISK UNRECOVERABLE -so you had better be sure that you do not want it !!
3: Go to your "snapclone" disk and now do a snapclone of this disk using the container from no:2 above.
4: rename your new snapclone to the name of what your disk was before.

Once the operation has completed (or before if you wish) you will have copied/restored the data from the snapclone back to your original disk. This is called "instant restore" by HP.
Any data that changed from the time you did your original snapclone will have been lost because snapshots and snapclones are POINT-IN-TIME (PIT) copies so you will have to restore that data from log files, tapes, etc if you have it ???

Mark...
if you have nothing useful to say, say nothing...