108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

hp ux cluster with msa 30

SOLVED
Go to solution
simon_164
Super Advisor

hp ux cluster with msa 30

I want to setup a unix cluster with msa 30. the disks are only seen from one node. I tried to change the scsi ID of one card with the command mptconfig -i 6 /dev/mpt3.
but I am getting an error with ioctl failed.

how can i set it up?
if i attach only one server then i can see the disks but not both of them.

Any one any idea?
5 REPLIES 5
Solution

Re: hp ux cluster with msa 30

Simon,

Which MSA30 do you have? There are 3 models:

- The single bus (SB) model 302969-B21

- The dual bus (DB) model 302970-B21

- The muli-initiator (MI) model 359645-B21

Only the MI model supports clustering.

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
simon_164
Super Advisor

well it is a single enclosure with one interface having 2 controllers in it.

I guess it is a single bus one ,
am i sure?
my question is that whenever i connect the other server to the other connector , the disk is not shown, only one connector works.

Simon,

Look at the picture on p14 (1-3) of the user guide:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00294132/c00294132.pdf

My guess is your IO module looks like the one on the left - that means you have a dual-bus MSA30.

Note that the 2 SCSI connection are for seperate slots in the enclosure - its not just one SCSI bus. slots 1-7 are presented on SCSI port A and slots 8-14 on SCSI port B. *no* disks are presented on both SCSI ports, and both SCSI buses are internally terminated.

If you don't have the MI version, you simply can't present disks to 2 hosts - its one of those cases where 'not supported' literally means 'doesn't work'.

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Gavin Palk

I had a similar problem recently when I try to build a 2 node SG cluster using a single MSA30. The SCSI adapater cards in the server I was using (a rp3440) all had the same ID, so I had to change these IDs at the Interupt Screen on the console. If you stop the server boot, move to the Ser menu.
Then run the SCSI command. It will show you all your io cards, they all have an adapter ID of 7 as factory default.
Change these ID for the IO cards that have hte SCSI cables running to the disk array all to a unique number (I used 5,6,7 and 8) for my 4 SCSI cables.

Boot to UNIX, do an ioscan from both machines, you should now be able to see all disks from all machines.

Remove a disk from the array, and check that the same disk is seen as missing from both machines, if it is not swap your cables around.
Hope this helps

Gavin
simon_164
Super Advisor

Ok, i will try to do that and get back to post the result here, but it ll be in like 10 days coz we are really busy right now.
Any way thank you very much. By the way i tried to change the SCSI ID from inside the Unix didn't work !!