New Discussion юеВ

hp va 7100, image repair needed

SOLVED
Go to solution
troublenow

hp va 7100, image repair needed

Our hp va7100 says if you connect it to a serial cable:

"Image repair needed"

after this none of the commands that you see when you type help work (failed or unable to do)

on the 2nd card on the back of the va the controler led is orange instead of green (1st card is ok)

whats going on here ?

were seems to lost the manuals or cd's off this machine and it seems that the HP website has lost all its documentation or something about this machine :(

anyone has got these manuals or knows what to do ?

thnx

m
7 REPLIES 7
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Re: hp va 7100, image repair needed

Hi,

to me it looks like your programme card/flash rom for the controller has gone bad. If you use HP-UX, there is a diagnostics tool:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/CoreRedirect.jsp?targetPage=http%3A%2F%2Fh200006.www2.hp.com%2Fbc%2Fdocs%2Fsupport%2FSupportManual%2Flpg60196%2Flpg60196.pdf

Michael
Julian Perez_1
Valued Contributor
Solution

Hello,

This is an NVRAM image error, I think due to a mismatch between both controllers.

My advise now is performing a full backup of this array and opening a hardware call to local response center.

In previous cases we repaired this state removing this orange card, performing an array shutdown using the other controller and after booting up, putting second controller after removing batteries during several minutes (similating a new one). It's a dangerous procedure, due to if shutdown is not performed OK and NVRAM content is not written propperly to disks, data maps (configuration and data location) is losed, and you will have to recover data from backup.

BUT if production data is inside this array, be careful and open a hard call.

Best regards,

Julian
Keep the faith
troublenow

The data on the array is not important it is being reused in a new platform but after it wasn't used for a while we started up the machine and then we got this..

I will try to get the card out and remove the battery and see what happends then..

If that won't do anything I guess I need to make a call to hp..

thnx

gr

m

troublenow

Okay i removed the battery and replaced everything but the card still seems to be broken.

at the console dsp gives:

ARRAY INFORMATION
Array World Wide Name: ....
Alias: VA01
Array State: Warning State

WARNINGS
Controller Problem
RAM Unmirrored
Single Controller
GBIC Problem

CONTROLLER ENCLOSURE INFORMATION
Status summary: Controller Problem
FC Port Problem

It seems that it is working a bit now but the 2nd controller card has to be replaced I guess..

anyone still got a manual or something for this machine? (were going to set it up on a linux machine but it should be something easyer with a manual :)

thnx

m
Julian Perez_1
Valued Contributor

Hello,

So if data is not important and you have to re-install it, you can format it using from a controller (the good one) command

vfpfmt

And this is a link where you can find manuals for your beautiful storage:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Resource.jsp?locale=en_US&taskId=115&prodSeriesId=33737&prodTypeId=12169

Best regards!

Julian
Keep the faith
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor
troublenow

thanks i already found these links but this morning they were all dead.. seems to be up now ..

Thnx for all your help

gr

M