Disk Enclosures
1748210 Members
2838 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

i want to know where doe the standard of the open systems come from such as open-3 , open8 and etc

SOLVED
Go to solution
stevesun
Occasional Contributor

i want to know where doe the standard of the open systems come from such as open-3 , open8 and etc

OPEN-3 2.461 GB
OPEN-8 7.348 GB
OPEN-9 7.385 GB
OPEN-E 14.568 GB
OPEN-L 36.436 GB
OPEN-M 47.171 GB

who can help me , is it come from ansi or osi or some other standard organization , and how can i get this standard ?
thank you very much

1 REPLY 1
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: i want to know where doe the standard of the open systems come from such as open-3 , open8 and etc

They're actually based on IBM's standard drive models for mainframes.

For example:
Open-9 = 3390 Mod 9

This is so you can attach the XP to both an IBM mainframe and HPUX (or other Open Systems host) and have them share the disk. Mainframes can only use fixed-size drives with fixed model numbers (talk about restrictive!), so all arrays must emulate an older IBM model disk drive.

There are several applications for this. One is to transfer data between the mainframe and Open Systems host at very high data rates (100x FTP rates). Another application is for the mainframe to backup the Open Systems data - it sees the Open System data as "files" that it can backup to tape silos.

Note that the sizes in Open Systems are just slightly smaller than for the mainframe... even on the same volume. This is because a header area is reserved for the mainframe to mark the drive so that it can see it.

Some of the later "Open-X" sizes are custom, and only used by Open Systems since they are not "IBM standard" sizes.

Good luck!
No matter where you go, there you are.