New Discussion юеВ

Re: logical drive and array

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mangin_1
Occasional Advisor

logical drive and array

Hi,

I have one array composed of 6 physical disks. This array has two logical drives with 3 physical disks each.
logical drive 1 : os disk
logical drive 2 : project disk

I'd like to delete logical drive 2 and to remove the 3 disks corresponding to my logical drive 2.

Is it possible ?
Are the data of the logical drive 1 copied only on the 3 physical disks corresponding to this logical drive, or are the data copied on all the disks ??
Patrick Mangin
4 REPLIES 4
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

Patrick,
if we are talking about a SmartArray controller...

It depends on what you mean by 'array'.

Do you have one or two disk drive arrays (disk groups)? You can put multiple logical disks into one disk drive array. In that case both logical disks are stored on all physical disk drives.

I suggest you go into ACU and check this.
Mangin_1
Occasional Advisor

Yes I spoke about a smartarray controller.

I have one disk drive array, which has two logical drives.

So all my logical drives are stored on all my disks ?
Is it right ?

Thanks for your answer Uwe
Patrick Mangin
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Yes, a logical disk is evenly distributed over all physical disk drives in a disk drive array.

You can expand it by adding more disks and the controller will redistribute the existing data, but as far as I can tell, you cannot remove physical disk drives from a disk drive array.

A SmartArray controller can work with multiple disk drive arrays, but of course that isn't any help now.
Mangin_1
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Uwe for your answer.

That's what I thought but I received an opposite answer from HP support, so I didn't know what to think.
Patrick Mangin