1748076 Members
5405 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

logical volume 3TB possible

Leahi
Frequent Advisor

logical volume 3TB possible

I need to create a 3TB lv on a vg01 of 4 TB with 4 LUNS at 1 TB each lun. I've already adjusted the Max PE and PE in various settings.

Problem: I can only get 1TB for each lv (I need three lv)--I need 3 TB for one lv and the other two I can allocate the remainder space.

In my readings, this is due to OS limitation in HPUX 11.11i v1. Do I need to upgrade to higher version to get my 3TB logical volume?

Please, help. Thank you.
3 REPLIES 3
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Re: logical volume 3TB possible

Even if you can create, you should try to keep your lv at razonable sizes. Consider the time that you must spend to restore the entire file system if there are some corruption (that occurs). If you have a LTO 3 solution, I think that you should use 1 TB disk sizes.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Leahi
Frequent Advisor

We have 146GB HD 10K x45 on VA 7110 dual controller, with MSL6030 Tape Library.

So, If I can do what I want to do, what's the MaxPE/PEsize parameters? Do I still need to upgrade the OS?

Thanks.
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

From the online docs :
Support for Large Files

"VxFS can, theoretically, support files up to two terabytes in size because file system structures are no longer in fixed locations (see Disk Layout). The maximum size tested and supported on HP-UX 11.x systems is one terabyte. Large files are files larger than two gigabytes in size."
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?