Disk Enclosures
1752295 Members
4857 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: missing EAB cables for eva8000 EMU - what to do?

SOLVED
Go to solution
mujzeptu
Super Advisor

missing EAB cables for eva8000 EMU - what to do?

I have an eva8000 array. I just went from 4 enclosures to 6. I only have two EAB cables apparently and 6 enclosures. The original 4 enclosures are numbered properly on the EMU even though only two have EAB cables.

The issue is the two new enclosures dont have EMU cables. They appear to be normal ethernet/cat6 cables, however there appears to be something different.

So, what should I do?

- Is there somewhere I can order more?
- Can I use another cable instaed?
- Is there a way I can get all the ID's set with only 2 cables and have all managed by the EMU?

The core issue is CVE lists the two new enclosures as unmapped hardware.

24 REPLIES 24
IBaltay
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,
the cable kits are the separate part numbers from the loop switches kits - AD553A and the
disk enclosures kits - AD542A (or B).
You might have gotten the following
345580-B21 Cable Kit to each new enclosure, check with your local HP, why the EAB cables were not included if you dont have them
the pain is one part of the reality
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Some additional details:
The EMU cables/terminators should have the following part numbers:

Can Bus (EMU ID buss on rear right side of cabinet.)
Y cable - 17-05118-11,
top term. 12-56288=8-13;
Bottom Term. 12-56288-12;
port ID Can Cable 17-05403-01
- interlink cables 17-05405-01
mujzeptu
Super Advisor

Hmmm, internally I can only find part #345580-B21.

What does the above part number include?

IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi,
I have listed all connection components from the cables to the terminators to have all parts available for you to communicate it with your local HP to agree on the needed part.
mujzeptu
Super Advisor

Heh, I wish it was that easy. We are on our own and internal, so we dont have someone to "work with" on it.

I was just curious what comes in the part number listed...

It appears all I need is the EAB cables from the EMU port to the chain.
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

yes,
and the theory to it is the following:
if the EMU displays 00, which is your case,
it indicates, that the drive enclosure is not connected to the address bus. After the connecting it to the address bus verify that the EMU displays a unique enclosure number. Also verify, that the other EMUs continue to display valid enclosure numbers. Then wait 15 minutes. Verify via the Command view EVA that the enclosure is no longer in the Unmappable hardware folder. Also verify that the new enclosures have good status as well as their disk drives and thats it
mujzeptu
Super Advisor

Can I move around the two cables I have, let the enclosure EMU get a unique ID, then remove it and move to the next enclosure? This way its resolved before I even order more cables?
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

No,
this does not work, you need to have all cables in place to have the whole work done.
Plugging/unplugging makes no sense, the enclosure will repeatedly return to its 00 numbering after the cable unplug.
But as you see, the EVA operation is not affected with this and it is purely management stuff which has to be finished/repaired.
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

According to Partsurfer 345580-B21 contains:

Cable Kit : Expansion cabinet drive shelf cable kit - Includes four 2Gbps short wave Small Form Factor (SFP) transceiver modules with LC connectors, two 5m (6.6ft) fiber optic cables with LC connectors, and two cable spools with mounting hardware

So it doesn't look like the EAB cables are in that kit.

Cheers,

Rob