1752680 Members
5696 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: move array ml350 g1 to ml350 g3

Nathan Stipe
Occasional Advisor

move array ml350 g1 to ml350 g3

Is it possible too take my 532 card which is connected too 4 drives in the internal 4 bay hot swap back plane in gen 1 ml350 and place it and the 4 drives in a gen 3 ml350 with the 6 bay backplane and get it working? Both single processors.

Thanks in advance.

Nate
9 REPLIES 9
Leon Rosier
Respected Contributor

Yes, this shouldn't be a problem

Leon
Seth Parker
Trusted Contributor

As Leon says, it should be fine. Just make sure you put the drives in the same slots on the new machine so that the SCSI IDs are the same. That way the array controller won't get confused.

Are these just data drives, or is there an OS on them that will be used to boot? If they're just data, it's all good. If there's an OS, you may have OS issues.

Regards,
Seth
Nathan Stipe
Occasional Advisor

Seth Parker - It is one raid 5 array with two logical drives. One holding the os and one for data. Actually I have decided on Gen 2 now, but this is still pretty much the same question I think.

Nate
Seth Parker
Trusted Contributor

Well, you may have an issue with the OS then. The array controller shouldn't care as long as the drives are in the proper slots, but the OS could care a lot when it comes up on new hardware all of a sudden.

Regards,
Seth
Seth Parker
Trusted Contributor

Nate,

Is this question regarding the same server(s) as your 532 -> 5302 question? If it is, I bet you could get a cable that would let you use one of your internal ports as an external one. There are cutouts on the back of the ML350 G2 servers to accomodate that (at least there were on mine).

If you could swing that, you wouldn't have to worry about putting your tape drive on the array controller.

Regards,
Seth
Nathan Stipe
Occasional Advisor

Yes it is the same server. I am looking for three improvements. I need faster processor. I need two more slots for hard drives. I need redundant power supplies. I have decided that buying a gen 2 will be a better option than upgradin my current gen 1. The gen 2 can have redundant power supplies, has processor at double my current speed (600Mhz) and has a 6 bay backplane already installed. I think this would be better decision. Shouldn't they be close enough hardware that the HAL will take care of any problems? Network card is same. Chipset is same. Both PIII processors. Ram will be same. Video card may be different?
Seth Parker
Trusted Contributor

Nate,

I would see if you can place a call to HP to find out what they think. A quick poke on HP website shows that the servers do look pretty much the same. Making an ERD is going to be a must, and I'd save the registry to the repair directory when you make it.

Regards,
Seth
Leon Rosier
Respected Contributor

It is not adviseable to use your current OS installation on new hardware. Also a G2 is not available anymore, since G3 is the latest model. This would mean you have to find a second hand or refurbished one.
Or did you mean G3 in your previous reply, since the header says G3?

Leon
Nathan Stipe
Occasional Advisor

No, I mean't G2. I can use my current RAM in a G2