Disk Enclosures
1752795 Members
6597 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

moving a disk from one VA7400 to another

Benoit Harvey

moving a disk from one VA7400 to another

I want to move a disk from one VA7400 to another VA7400. So I need to "down" the disk on the source VA7400, remove the disk, insert the disk in the target array and "include" the disk.
My question is : what are the options I need to specify when "downing" the disk with command view SDM :
- Down Type Desired : Preserve Down, Fail Down or Destructive Down
- Loss Type Allowed : No Loss, Redundancy Loss OK, Data Loss OK

Is there any documentation about that operation ?

Thank's
2 REPLIES 2
Enes Dizdarevic
Honored Contributor

Re: moving a disk from one VA7400 to another

By default downing of disk will succeed only if removal of the disk will not result in a loss of redudancy or data availability. That means array must not be in "degraded" state and there is an active hot spare disk available for rebuild. If you have no hot spare disk and there is no previously failed disk you may force loss of data redudancy by option -R. If you have no hot spare disk and one or two disk in the same redudancy group has already failed you may force downing of disk (which will result in loss of data) by option -Z. You can find more details about armcfg command in CommandView Installation and Users Guide.
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

Re: moving a disk from one VA7400 to another

If you want to move it to another array, I think you have to use the destructive down. The array puts signatures on the drives that will produce error messages when inserted in a different slot or different unit if not removed properly. I haven't tried it myself, but I think the "destructive down" wipes this signature off the disk.

Good luck
No matter where you go, there you are.