1752806 Members
6089 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

msa1000 works on HPUX?

Donald Scott Nelson
Occasional Advisor

msa1000 works on HPUX?

I have tried everything under the sun to get HPUX to recognize an msa1000. Does anyone know how to get this to work. Or a know where a 'how to' document is that you can point me to?

This is what I have tried. I loaded all the latest firmware. I replaced everything including the system. Reconfiguring the LUNs three or four times thinking I might have made a mistake. I have also tried running it on 11.23 and 11.11 neither seem to work. I have added hubs, switches and tried every topology that I can think of. I see my FC PCI card when I run ioscan but I never see the msa controller or the LUNs show up. Is there a certain array software that need to be loaded? It seems like the documentation out on this is very limited. PLEASE HELP...............................
5 REPLIES 5
Serviceguard for Linux
Honored Contributor

Re: msa1000 works on HPUX?

It is supported. MSA FW must be at least 4.38. There are minimum bundles and patches required. More info on your config might provide more details.

Also, are you running two controllers in the MSA? Only 1 is supported.

Considering the number of combinations, it may be best to call support and walk though the list with them.
Donald Scott Nelson
Occasional Advisor

The system I am using is an rx2600 or Superdome/IA and I am using a McData FC64 swich or none, I am also running the latest 11.23 release that we have (we have an ignite server that constantly gets updated with the latest versions of HPUX) and I have already loaded the controller with the 4.38 firmware, which I had to do through windows since HPUX can't see the array. Which kind of also puts a damper on the "how to upgrade firmware on the MSA1000 from HPUX" instructions. Currently I have 1 lun created on four disks set to raid 5. Through CLI the unit looks ok, however when I do a "show connections" it says the connection or unit (I forget which, it only shows one though) is offline. I think this may have something to do with my problem, however I don't know what it should say and or how to change it. My switch currently shows the port connected to the MSA1000 is online (on the switch side). I have also tried using A6795 FC card and a A6826 and neither seem to change the state. When I run fcmsutil in the tahclite card shows to be online also. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Donald Scott Nelson
Occasional Advisor

Oh and yes I am only running one controller :)
Hank Eggers
Frequent Advisor

As a side question...anyone know if the MSA will ever support more than 1 controller via a firmware update, etc..? Thanks!

Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

The plan is to provide active/active controller support for HP-UX. Unfortunately, in the past, I have seen that several deadlines were not met. It is easy to bump into a new show-stopper just before product release, so I would not plan on any unofficial 'announcements'.