1752596 Members
5154 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

p410i support SSD

madvovik
Occasional Visitor

p410i support SSD

HI everyone, did somebody test SSD intel pro 2500 or Samsung pro 850 on p410i, i want to know which speed i can get on RAID 10 or 50? Or what advice can you give for this controller in low price range, except intel dc s3500?

1 REPLY 1
Rob_at_NSIT
Advisor

Re: p410i support SSD

I do not have either of those SSDs but the P*1*(i) supports SATA 2 (3.0GTS) only.  In my experience (Z7 and 830 pro) Samsung SSDs have a issue down speeding where they will “hicup”, lock, pause, then unlock and work a little while when being used on SATA 2.  You will also be wasting about half of their bandwidth.  I have also seen this “hiccup” with SATA 3 Intel SSDSs like the 520.   

I use the Toshiba thin state drives with the custom “L” firmware (apparently created for Lenovo Thinkpads) that locks the controller to SATA 2.  6 128s in R0 give me about 1.3GiB/s.  

Remember SSD do not like RAID (Like R5 and 10) especial on controllers that do not correctly support trim / garbage clean up.  Also RAID controllers that are not fully SSD aware suffer greatly from write amplification.   

If this is a production environment look at a P420 or P440 upgrade.  The P420+ supports SATA 3 (6.0GTS), is SSD aware, and supports trim correctly, it also allows you with the SAAP license to use smart cache RAID.