Email Subscription Notifications Suspended Temporarily
We are in the process of making navigation in the Servers and Operating Systems forums simpler and more direct. While doing this, we have to temporarily suspend email notifications for subscriptions. If you are subscribed to one or more discussion boards or blogs in the community, please check them daily to see new content. Notifications will be turned back on in a few days. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Thanks, Warren_Admin
Disk Enclosures
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

parallel SCSI array max size using 300GB drives ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
lariguet
Occasional Advisor

parallel SCSI array max size using 300GB drives ?

I have 7 x 300 GB RAID 5 (1.8 TB usable) on MSA30/SA6402.

What is the max size allowed using 300 GB drives ?

Can I place another drive reaching 2.1 TB (usable) or this will max the parallel SCSI 2 TB limitation ? (It is not clear to me if the 2 TB limit is the usable array or the one adding all the drive sizes)

Can I place another drive keeping current 1.8 TB but migrating to ADG instead of 5 ?
3 REPLIES
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: parallel SCSI array max size using 300GB drives ?

Hi,

An SmartArray 6400 has a limit of a 2TB Logical Drive, regardless of the number of physical drives in the array or the RAID level.

Remember though that you're talking here about marketing GB rather than actual GB.

A 300GB will only give you a useable space of 286GB. 8 of those in a RAID-5 will give you a useable logical drive of just under 2TB.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Rob
lariguet
Occasional Advisor

OK Rob. Now suppose I want to add extra redundancy to the 7 x 300GB RAID 5 array adding an 8th drive and migrating to RAID ADG without increasing the array size; is it possible right ?
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

That should be possible yes.

Cheers,

Rob