New Discussion юеВ

problem about va7400's status

SOLVED
Go to solution
stephen peng
Valued Contributor

problem about va7400's status

dear all,
could you find out what happened to the va7400 according to the attached file? there are just two disk enclosures in the array, but why it turned out to be threes in armdsp output? there must be some problems with the array, but i have never encountered this one.
so please offer me help. all the hardware status lights, except those disks in odd number slots, are ok.

thanks a lot
5 REPLIES 5
krusty
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: problem about va7400's status

Hi Steven,

I've never seen that either. It looks like some of the drives got assigned soft ALPAs and the VA controllers don't know how to handle it. The command "armdsp -t" may help to troubleshoot this problem. The -t will show the mappings of the disks and may provide some insiht to the problem.

I would schedule an outage and shutdown the array. I would do some basic checks and see if those fix the problem. First, power down both enclosures. Verify the loop speed switch on the LCC card on the JBOB enclosure is set to 1Gb. Then power up the JBOD enclosure first. Wait until all disks come up, then power on the main enclosure. If you have a serial cable, having it connected to the serial port during this time may help. My guess is you either see the error while the enclosures are coming up and, or this will fix the problem.

Good Luck,

Curt
"In Vino Veritas"
TTr
Honored Contributor

First verify this configuration with a console attaching directly to the VA.

Did you add a used disk drive(s), one that previously was used with another VA? Or did you pull a drive and re-inserted it either in the smae slot or a different slot?
stephen peng
Valued Contributor

first of all, thank you for you reply. i will try those methods later, and i will post the outcoming here later.

stephen
stephen peng
Valued Contributor

attached file was the armdsp -t output
TTr
Honored Contributor

> there are just two disk enclosures in the array, but why it turned out to be threes in armdsp output?

Is this ONE va7400 controller enclosure with disks and TWO disk enclosures (TOTAL 3)? Or is it ONE va7400 controller enclosure with disks and ONE disk enclosure (TOTAL 2)?

The array appears to be in a "confused state". I see that the even numbered disks from enclosures M and JA0 appear as disks D1 - D9 in the phantom enclosure PA.

Like I said before, this happens when you shuffle disks around by physically pulling them from one slot and re-inserting them to another and not clearing them from the commandview. Or when you put in used disks from another array. Did you do something like this?

If you have HP support, call them and let them straighten this out. If you don't have HP support try rebooting the array as mentioned above.