1752280 Members
4422 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: "Enabled and Scanning"

John Payne_2
Honored Contributor

"Enabled and Scanning"

I am trying to get an old clariion Nike/20 array to talk to an R390. We plugged the array into the machine, and the machine did not see it. (ioscan showed the scsi card, but not the clariion disks.) I went into the presentation utility, and the disks say "enabled and scanning." We have never seen this here. Usually the disks just say enabled. Does anyone know what 'enabled and scanning' means?

Thanks

John
Spoon!!!!
9 REPLIES 9
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Yeah, I think John has, at the very least, seen the second thread, Harry. In fact, he replied to it.

Anyway - so where do you see this "enabled and scanning" indication, John? The presentation utility, as I've seen it, shows a grid representing the disk modules and within those boxes, the status is shown as BIN, ENA, EQZ, FMT, OFF, POW, RDY, REB, UNB, or blank. I've never seen any reference to "scanning".

Pete

Pete
John Payne_2
Honored Contributor

If you select a disk and hit enter, you get a little status menu for that disk. (If it is rebuilding, it will tell you how far it is.) This is where I see enabled and scanning. Right now, the disks say 24% complete. Last week, they went through to 100% (I assume) and started over.

Sorry, It's 5am here, and I have been in for the day way too long already..

John
Spoon!!!!
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

John,

OK, I see where you're talking about, but I can't find any explanation of "scanning". I've been through both the manuals I have and there's no mention of it. Sorry.

Pete

Pete
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

John,
go to presentation utility and check if it's really SCANNING and not SCRUBBING
Eugeny
John Payne_2
Honored Contributor

It really says scanning. It is really weird.

Thanks

John
Spoon!!!!
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

John,
can you log into controller using utility with logging facility and log all the information: presentation screen, disks' details, 'i' command output, unsolicited logs etc (as much as possible) with field engineer rights and attach zipped?
Which controller do you use in R390? Do not forget that Nike is HVD device
Eugeny
John Payne_2
Honored Contributor

I actually crashed the R-class machine 2 days ago. (Panic with scsi lbolts from one of the cards.)

I will problibly get back to this in a couple of days...

Thanks Guys

John
Spoon!!!!
John Payne_2
Honored Contributor

The whole problem stemmed from a scsi terminator. I had a FWD terminator on the clariion array, but the device is not differential. This caused the machine to not see the clariion and also caused the crashing I started seeing. I had HP in, and he removed my terminator and put the terminator on that was sitting on my little crash cart, and everything booted fine.

Thanks for the help

John
Spoon!!!!