4167 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

raid 0+1 expansion of logical drive

sinisa cuk

raid 0+1 expansion of logical drive

Hi all,

I have one very simple question...
We have run out of space on our DC containing AD log files. I have connected additional hard drives to the same SCSI controller and I have added them to the 1st array and I have now 36 GB of unused space.

Can this space be added to the Logical Drive 2 ( inside 1st Array ) so the partition size is enlarged and the current data which is on the Logical drive remains intact?

We are using HP Arr.Cfg. Util on Win2kSP4.

thanks,
3 REPLIES 3
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: raid 0+1 expansion of logical drive

Yes, you need to expand (or was that called 'extend'?) the logical disk. After rescanning or rebooting you should see unpartitioned space, because the SmartArray controller does not know what a partition is. You need to get hold of Microsoft's "diskpart" utility to make the partition grow.
sinisa cuk

thanks...

I am now waiting for the end of "extending" process...which is quite lenghty...

Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Sinisa:

Are you log files on your "c:" partition? or on a different partition? or logical drive all together?

If your log files are on the same physical logical drive as your system partition (usually the "c:" drive), then diskpart will not work.

You will need to use a different 3rd party partitioning utility or configure the space a different way. (which is probably too late now since your already extending).

Are your logs on a separate Logical drive from the OS?

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)