108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

raid 5 drive set

SOLVED
Go to solution
Lance Oakley
Occasional Advisor

raid 5 drive set

Just completed the rack and stack of my dl380g5 ordered with 4 x 72gb 2.5 sas drives on p600 controller, with 3 active and 1 spare drive. q: if/when 1 of the 3 drives fails does the spare drive automatically kick in or is there some manual effort on my part. I could not locate much info concerning how raid 5 works other than steps to setup for windows 2003 server.
Thanks,
Lance
6 REPLIES 6
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: raid 5 drive set

Yes, that's the purpose of a spare disk ;-)

Seriously, make sure that the disk is really marked as a spare. An unassigned disk will not be used.
Lance Oakley
Occasional Advisor

Thanks. The array is shown as Logical Drive # 1, RAID 5, 136.7GB, with online spare. Shows three 72GB drives and the spare so guess it is good to go... Just one small item - why only 136.7GB with 3 x 72GB active? Does the raid actually tie up 72GB accross the 3 drives? Once again, thanks.
Lance
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

RAID 5 = Storage - 1 disk

72G Disk + 72G Disk + 72 Disk - 72G Parity Stripted = 144 (136BG)

The short answer is, yes. In this case, 33% of the space. As you increase the amount of disks, the percentage drops. (3-33%, 4-25%, 5-20%, 6-16.6%, etc, etc, etc).
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Lance Oakley
Occasional Advisor

I got a ways into the win 2003 OS with a single large 136GB partition. I wish to start all over and allocate two partitions, C: for the OS and D: for anything else. How do I reformat the disks but keep the 3 active raid 5 with a spare drive structure?
Thanks,
Lance
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor
Solution

You would simply create 2 logical drives on the array.

You can do with with the SmartStart CD and the ACU utility found on it. Boot/setup using smartstart and one of the first steps is to configure your array/logical drives.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Lance Oakley
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Steven. I'll give it a shot...
Lance