2939 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: reconfiguration of SMART4200 series controller

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kendyl Peebles

reconfiguration of SMART4200 series controller

I have a Compaq ML350 with a SMART4200 series controller currently running 3 18.9gb hdds... I am preparing to replace those drives with 4 79gb hdds and install a new OS and server apps. I have everything pretty much lined up.. but I want to be prepared just in case something goes wrong... will that controller allow me to reconfigure it to accept the 18gb hdds back without wiping them? It would be nice to have the ability to fall back and reconfigure the controller to the original configuration and pop the original drives back in and be back up and running.

Possible?
Kendyl Peebles
IT/IS Manager
Clancy & Theys Construction Company
5 REPLIES 5
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

since the RAID info is stored on the disks, it should work. Just make sure you shut down the server before removing the old disk, and mark what slot they were in.

Regards,
Stephen
Kendyl Peebles

hmmm simpler than I thot...

so just shut down, put the 3 original drives back in the same slots and bring her back up no questions asked?

kewl!

Thankyou
MG_GM
Advisor

Of course! Just put drives aside while configuring server with new drives. In case of disaster, remove new drives, put original drives back into the cage on the same position. SA 4200 will read logical drives configuration from drives during initialization and Your system will be back in no time.
Kendyl Peebles

Thanks yall!! That eases my mind tremendously. During my planning process, that was pretty much the assumption I had, but on the way in to work this morning (planning to do this upgrade tonight btw) I had a nasty thought... all my previous experience with configuring raid systems on servers was the initial configure. and always there was the "initialization" proceedure that occurred, and I did NOT want that to happen when the need to backtrack occurred.

Thank you again!!!
Kendyl
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

In addition to the advice you have already received I suggest that you write down which disk was in which slot. The controller can run into a problem if one disk drive dies during the work and you move the others around. I would make a conventional backup to tape, too.