108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: remove disk from raid 5 array

SOLVED
Go to solution
Shane Vincent
Occasional Contributor

remove disk from raid 5 array

Hi i have 3x144Gb + 1x72Gb currently in raid 5 array (total 216Gb avalible space), can i remove the 1x72Gb completly from array to be left with total 288Gb avalible space??
4 REPLIES 4
Basil Vizgin
Honored Contributor
Solution

No, you must replace it with 144Gb and only after this you can use all space.
Joe Martinello

Hi All, Nobody has answered the real question and I have the same question can you remove a drive from a raid array to make it a smaller size. Have 5 72GB drives in a raid 5 array. Would like to remove one and make it a 4 drive raid array. Without recreating everything from scratch. I know I can do a backup remake the arrays and a restore but would like to avoid that.

Thank you,

joe
Mike Naime
Honored Contributor

I do not believe that you can do that. When you create a Raidset, you setup some basic allocation on where your data and the copy/parity of the data is stored. You would have to re-format the raid to spread that same data across 3 volumes instead of 4.

The configuration that you are listing above seems real strange. I wonder who decided to make it a 4 volume set with one mis-matched drive. Rather than to make a 3-drive 288 GB LUN.
VMS SAN mechanic
Shane Vincent
Occasional Contributor

Hi Mike, The reason for the strange config was that i had acted before researching lol, i assumed that i could upgrade from 4x72Gb to 3x144 and hence the question.