1751807 Members
5103 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: replace 431 with 3200

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

replace 431 with 3200

What is the best way to replace a 431 controller with a 3200?
System: DL580

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Since they use different drivers (CPQArray vs. CPQArry2 on the 431), this may be a bit difficult...

Basically, make sure the firmware on the system and both controllers is current - after creating a full backup (verified - might make a repair disk too - RDISK.EXE). Copy the NT 4.0 SSD (our driver kit) to a temp directory on that system. Try to install the latest Array controller driver from that SSD while still in NT and then shutdown to replace the controller. When you boot - you should run the Smartstart version of Array Configuration to verify you want to keep the existing configuration of the array. Then boot into the OS and make sure the correct driver is loading. If you get an "inaccessible boot device" error, it's because the correct driver is not loaded. This is the most difficult part of the process.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

"If you get an "inaccessible boot device" error, it's because the correct driver is not loaded. This is the most difficult part of the process."

Is this why you don't list any suggestions on how to fix the inaccessible boot device error? Ideally, you would list one or two ways of where to start to fix this, or list sources that one may be able to reference to use in fixing this condition. Its your hardware, figure out a way to fix this in your lab.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Remove the current 431 driver from NT in SCSI devices. Add the new driver for the 3200. Shutdown the server, change controllers. Power on, run the F10 setup, update configuration and be shure that the 3200 is set as the boot controller. Save config and restart. Keep fingers crossed. If the machine Blue Screens, boot from the NT and press "S" and supply the driver disk for the 3200 and select repair later in the setup....
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I hope I am too late in giving this information but maybe it will help someone later. The easiest way I have found and actually I do this in the reverse order because NT loads the cpqarray.sys to begin with but this will work.

Run the SSD off SmartStart 4.9 or the latest version you have
Choose the Express Option
Update the CPQARRAY.SYS & CPQARRAY2.SYS

Chances are you only have the cpqarray2.sys loaded since you are using a 431 controller so it is very important to keep this driver just in case you have to go back if this fails. I don't recommend removing this.

After the SSD completes it will ask to reboot - confirm the reboot. Shut the box off.

If you want you can leave both controllers in but I would take the 431 out and put the 3200 in the original slot. Hook up your SCSI cables and power the server back on. You will get some post errors about array cache size has changed blah, blah, blah. You don't care about those - they WILL go away. You may get one saying battery charge is low - that should go away within 24 hrs. Anyway back to the task at hand.

Run the System Config by pressing F10. It will give you a confirmation of the 431 being removed and the 3200 added. If you can not run the SCU which is possible - you will need to run in from the Smart Start CD. The SCU should put the 3200 as the boot controller - verify this by going into View or Edit Details and see that the 3200 boot order is FIRST. Save changes and exit. If you had to run the SCU from the SS Cd - make sure you remove the CD.

The machine will reboot - hopefully POST error-free. You should get your NT Loader screen and SHOULD be off and running if you loaded BOTH drivers. After NT comes up you will probably get a service did not start error because the CPQARRAY2.SYS doesn't have anything to start. If this happens and everything else looks good - you can disable this driver as it won't be needed.

If NT doesn't load you will still have the CPQARRAY2.SYS still loaded so you can always go back to the 431 and troubleshoot why the other driver didn't load.

That is about all I can offer you besides have a good back up just in case. by leaving both drivers intact you shouldn't have any issues.