1752785 Members
6017 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

slow write performance

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

slow write performance

have 3200 installed in (asus p2b-ds) dual pentium (100mhz fsb) board. no problems booting or indicated in diagnostic utility. read performance ok, but write speed only around 2 mb/sec with compaq 18 or 36 gb 10k hdd?s.
2 REPLIES 2
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: slow write performance

How are the batteries on the controller ? If these are flat, then the write-cache will be disabled, and you'll take a hit on performance.

Also, check that write-cache is enabled for the array in the first place - its possible to set it to read-only.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: slow write performance

your reply is very logical (as one would expect), and under normal circumstances one would immediately rush to the computer to follow up on your suggestions. unfortunately, however, i managed to get hold of a rather antiquated proliant 1500 in which i installed the smart-3200. to my surprise it performed excellently returning a write speed around 8 mb/sec in spite of the single 100 mhz cpu.
re-installing the controller in 2 different non-compaq boards again resulted in 2 mb/sec write performance. seems that the only alternative -albeit an expensive one- is to find a compaq server board with one (or better still two) processor(s) that will do the raid controller justice.
thank you for the effort; will let you know if i can learn some more about this problem.