1752719 Members
5664 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

snapclone and parent presented to same Windows server - disk ID conflict

AccuMegalith
Advisor

snapclone and parent presented to same Windows server - disk ID conflict

I have a situation where I need to present two versions of the same data to the same server. The easiest way to do this was to create a snapclone of the reference version vdisk, present it to a different server, modify the data, then present the modified version to the server which hosts the original data. The server is Windows 2003 SP2 x64, MPIO 3.02.

The modified vdisk is present as a disk in diskpart, but the volume won't mount. I've rescanned multiple times, changed LUNs, nothing works. If I request the disk details (with the diskpart "detail disk" command), I see they have the same disk ID. This isn't the volume ID written by NTFS, but the hardware disk ID which the EVA controllers make visible to the hosts.

Is the disk ID always the same for snapclones? Is there any way to change it? If I un-present the original vdisk, the volume on the modified vdisk becomes present, so I'm pretty sure it's the conflicting disk IDs at fault.
White water rafting on a river of acid
2 REPLIES 2
jason andrade
Frequent Advisor

Re: snapclone and parent presented to same Windows server - disk ID conflict

I'm pretty sure you can change the disk id on a snapclone - i've been doing that to actually set it to the SAME as the original (because i've been snapcloning volumes between disk groups and need to preserve the disk WWN to avoid host conniption fits)

i find it weird that your snapclone is keeping the disk id the same because it wasn't for me - i was having to put that in manually..

-j
AccuMegalith
Advisor

Re: snapclone and parent presented to same Windows server - disk ID conflict

So...how do you change the disk ID? Or add it, in your case?
White water rafting on a river of acid