Email Subscription Notifications Suspended Temporarily
We are in the process of making navigation in the Servers and Operating Systems forums simpler and more direct. While doing this, we have to temporarily suspend email notifications for subscriptions. If you are subscribed to one or more discussion boards or blogs in the community, please check them daily to see new content. Notifications will be turned back on in a few days. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Thanks, Warren_Admin
Disk Enclosures
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

spare drive after rebuild

spare drive after rebuild

Hi,
I have an MSA30 attached to a DL380 storage server running win2k3, the MSA30 has two raid5 array's, each array has a connection to a 6402 array controller, the array's consist of 6 U320 300GB 10k scsi hot plug disks and one hot spare, one disk failed, the rebuild took nine days to complete, my question, if i remove the failed disk and insert a new one will this new disk be my new spare or will the whole rebuild process start again.

thanks
7 REPLIES
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Re: spare drive after rebuild

Hello Ton,
Yes... the rebuild Starts Again.
The original HOT spare will be back as hot spare.

Regards.
Shweta Verma
Occasional Advisor

Hello Ton,

That is right. The rebuild will start again on the replaced drive . Check your rebuild priority, whether it is set to low, medium or high. You have an option to change your rebuild priority to high, in case you want a faster rebuild.

thanks guys.

One more question, when i insert the new disk the rebuild will start, can i change the rebuild-priority while the array is rebuilding?
I want to set it to high during the night and to low during the day.
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Yes, i've been working with ACU for ten years now, but never encountered a long-running array-rebuilt. (nine days)
So i want to change the priority during the rebuild, high during the night and low during the day.

after inserting the new disk the rebuild took two hours.