4369 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: support of Dynamic disks on MSA 1000

Andrew Pearce_2
Occasional Advisor

support of Dynamic disks on MSA 1000

Hi,
Several years ago we had HP assist us with the implementation of our first MSA 1000. At the time the engineer told us that the use of Dynamic disks on Windows servers (using LUN's from the MSA) was not supported and to only use basic disks. This is a stategy which I've been quite happy to stick with (and use diskpart to extend volumes). Recently I've discovered that one of our sites has used dynamic disks and spanned volumes. I'm concerned that this might now be an unsupported configuration. Does anyone know what HP's lastest stance is with respect to support of Windows dynmanic disks?
1 REPLY 1
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: support of Dynamic disks on MSA 1000

Andrew:

Though not absolutely 1005 sure.. I do not think having Dynamic disks configured is unsupported. Furthermore, I do not recall there ever being a support issue with dynamic disks and Windows stand alone servers, but again... I could be mistaken.

There IS however, a support issue with dynamic disks and Windows Clustered Servers. They just do not see the disks so you can't use them. (or at least that was the case last time I built a cluster).

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)