1752603 Members
4999 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

the server locked up the lun

Hanry Zhou
Super Advisor

the server locked up the lun

I need to remove the lun on the hpux server(itanium 4640), and then on XP 12000.

On the server side, it is already completed removed from LVM, and devices files all removed by rmsf -H. However, when I release it from XP, it just won't let me to do it, and saying the host is still using it.

In the same action, I don't have any problems to remove the other two luns with the same situation.

Any idea?

Thanks.
none
16 REPLIES 16
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Re: the server locked up the lun

I have little experience with HP-UX and FC reservations. But using other Unix platforms, we can clear the SCSI reservations on the disks and that allows the unmapping of the LUNs.

The time we could not remove the reservation, we cheated the storage removing the HBAs from the host group and then unmapping the LUNs.

Normally, we had the problem with the last path, so you can always keep at least one path to your other LUNs.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
ks6542
Valued Contributor

You can also disable the switch port where the hba`s are connected to by this way you can avoid any traffic,and release the luns path.. :) but make sure you choose the correct switch and ports..
Hanry Zhou
Super Advisor

I can not disable or delete zone, because there are other disks connectiong to the same port or in the same zone.

I am talking about HPUX only here.

anybody else?
none
ks6542
Valued Contributor

I didnt say you disable your zone...
I just told u to disable your switch port where your host HBA`s are connected.

Any how if it dosent work then proabely go for the solution EVAN given :removing the HBAs from the host group and then unmapping the LUNs..!!!
Hanry Zhou
Super Advisor

I could not disable that port, because other luns on the same host have to use the same switch port.
none
ks6542
Valued Contributor

Well if you have redundancy you still can do that.. just disable one port .. release Lun paths and enable it back.. check ur host if evrythings fine .. proceed with next and so on..... :)
Hanry Zhou
Super Advisor

I guess, the way to disable the port is to use "portdisable" command on the switch.
What would you do to release Lun?

Even though you could release one path by the way that you suggested, the other path could still hold that lun, and won't allow me to remove it from XP frame.

none
ks6542
Valued Contributor

Well yes.. other path will still hold up.. but after you release one path and activate the port back,you can verify all other luns visible to this path which you dont want to remove? if it is then you can deactivate other path and release luns form there too.. make sure you choose correct Cu:Ldev
Hanry Zhou
Super Advisor

What is the action to "release lun/path"?
I understand you can use the command "portdisable", however, based on what you have suggested, it seems "release lun/path" is another different action...

You steps sounds a little bit of shacking though....although I don't know any better solutions.
none