1752795 Members
5962 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

va7400 shutdown

kholikt
Super Advisor

va7400 shutdown

We are having a power maintenance soon. All equipment must be shutdown during that period of time.

I never shutdown a va7400 before. Can I just turn off the power or is there any procedure I need to follow.
abc
5 REPLIES 5
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Re: va7400 shutdown

You can, but it's not normal way to shut VA down - it's a power failure.
If you want to do everything correctly then:
1. stop all your applications;
2. shut down hosts accessing VA;
3. go to VA and press its front panel power button - VA will do graceful shutdown flushing its cache and maps to designated disks;
4. after VA will shut down (you also can see it through terminal connected to one of its serial ports) you can cut power
Eugeny
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Hello,

According to the service manual:

"A shutdown is automatically initiated in two ways:

1. By moving the power/standby switch to the standby position.
2. Using the array management software.

Note: Using software to perform a shutdown is the preferred method because confirmation of a successful shutdown is reported to the operator.

If the power fails or if you unplug the power cords without performing a shutdown, the following sequence will occur when the array is powered on again:

1. The array will attempt to retrieve the maps from cache and determine if they are valid.
2. If the maps are not valid, the array will retrieve the maps from the image disks.

Note: If power to the array is lost by any means other than by moving the power/standby switch to the standby position, the array will
not have time to perform a successful shutdown. In this case, a fully charged battery can sustain NVSDRAM contents for 3
days."

HTH,
Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
david5337_1
Regular Advisor

Add some information about san shutdown:
1.stop all applications;
2.shutdown all servers;
3.shutdown the diskarray and tape library;
3.shutdown the SAN switch.
kholikt
Super Advisor

Hi I have a JBOD connected to this va7400.

Do I need to shutdown the JBOD first before I put the power switch to standby mode.
abc
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

NO! You need to shut down VA controller enclosure first - press main enclosure front power button and wait until it will shut down (if you use CommandView it will report when VA will shut down). And only then you can remove power from JBODs and main enclosure
Eugeny