Disk Enclosures
1753421 Members
4920 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion

va7410 - How to create an empty business copy LUN?

Jason Yeo
Occasional Contributor

va7410 - How to create an empty business copy LUN?

Hi,

I have a MC/SG cluster sharing 1 va7410. For backups, we use Business Copy LUNs of the shared disks. I've found that when I create Business Copy LUNs while the packages are running will cause a problem. The problem is when I bring down the packages, I get an error message "...failed to notify clvmd daemon..." and there's not way to deactivate the volume group.

If I bring down the packages and then execute the business copy, there won't be a problem.

I'm exploring ways to be able to create Business Copy LUNs online without resulting in the problem faced.

I figured that the cause is due to an execution of Business Copy when the LUN is created. So, if I can just create an empty Business Copy LUN, I should not experience any problem.

Can anyone advise? thanks.

Jason
1 REPLY 1
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Re: va7410 - How to create an empty business copy LUN?

Jason,
if you used to backup the same data (same LUNs) then it would be better to create BC LUN(s) one time, assign them correct permissions to 3rd host (non-cluster host, if you wish to see these BC LUNs from these cluster hosts you need to change VG signature with vgchgid before activating it). Then you can use 'copy from parent' BC utility feature to update BC LUN with parent LUN data.
Manuals are here http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual&docIndexId=3124&locale=en_US&prodSeriesId=64118&prodTypeId=12169
Latest BC-VA version is 1.02
Eugeny