New Discussion юеВ

vdisk on two server - one Read-only

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rudolf Stark
Advisor

vdisk on two server - one Read-only

Hello,

we would like to present a vdisk to two different Windows 2003 Server host (not clustered by MSCS) for Dataexchange: One Server should have Write-Access to add data on the drives, and the other should only have read-access to get the data. Via Presentation this is not possible, because the read-only setting is global for the vdisk. We tried diskpart v5.2.3790.1830 with flag "assign read-only", but this works not reliable: sometimes it's possible to write to the vdisk, sometimes not!

Has someone any ideas how to impemtend it?
Thanks and regards
Rudolf
8 REPLIES 8
Luk Vandenbussche
Honored Contributor

Re: vdisk on two server - one Read-only

Present it as a readonly windows share to the other server
Hasan  Atasoy
Honored Contributor

it is not possible on eva side.
you should do it on windows side . present disk to server with wr and share it from this server as read only to other server.
mathmad.
Rudolf Stark
Advisor

Thank you for you replies,

but Networking is no alternative. We need the direct-FC-I/O-Performance.

Regards
Rudolf
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

I does not even make sense, because the server with read-only access will not be aware of any meta-data changes from the first server and it can pick up corrupted data.

> Has someone any ideas how to impemtend it?

You need a stable disk view for reliable data exchange - use snapshots.
Phillip Thayer
Esteemed Contributor

Present the Vdisk to the write-access system and use SSSU in a batch file to generate a snapshot of the disk that is presented to the read-only system when needed. Once the data operations are done then you can get rid of the snapshot.

I would like to ask what the purpose of this is? Are you trying to do backups from the read-only system?

Phil
Once it's in production it's all bugs after that.
Rudolf Stark
Advisor

Thanks for your replies,

instead of Snapshot we thought about mirrorclones, but on one side we have to mount the filesystem, every time we need the data. Maybe with this scenario we make our first experiments.

The goal is, to exhange data from one server (running compile-jobs) to another (storing the code-result) and vice versa. This are very much small files, and Network-Performance is to slow.

Another thing it, that this concept is needed for a couple of machines, which have to give and get data from one server. So we thought about a real cluster-file-system, to have access to the filesystem from all systems at the same time. Then the data must not be copied - the compilation can be done directly on the filesystem from all compile-engins at the same time (very high I/O-load).

Did you have a recommendation for a cluster-file-system?

Thanks and regards
Rudolf

Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Clustered Gateway (aka Polyserve) from HP.
Rudolf Stark
Advisor

Thank you all for your replies,

I will try some experiments with polyserve and mirrorclones.

Regards
Rudolf